Is this a man/woman thing??

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
I seriously cannot believe my wonderful husband and I are fighting about this. But, fight we do.

Our air conditioner died. We are both unemployed which is strain enough so the air is staying dead until fall. So financial strain is part of the issue, but it is clearly not all of it. Here's the fight:

Dh put a fan in the basement window blowing in and a fan in the second floor back window blowing out. Theoretically this will draw air in through the naturally cool area of the basement and push it through the house. So the first floor is tolerable. But, the second floor, where the hot air goes naturally, is an oven. This is fine by day, but at night..... Well I want to turn the fan in to our bedroom to draw cool air in from outside. My thinking is that we open other windows and do what we need to do to make the area we are currently in as comfortable as possible. His is that turning the fan in pressurizes the house and prevents the cool air from circulating out of the basement.
he.gif

I agree, but we don't sleep in the basement!
somad.gif
He can if he wants, but I'm not gonna. I remember my parents having almost the same exact argument about air flow. It isn't that I disagree with how air moves! It is that you should use the movement of air to make the room you are in the most comfortable....

OK I know I said that already, but can you hear how frustrated I am? We actually fought about this last night.
barnie.gif
And, we're not really done, because we didn't resolve it. Am I really wrong? Or is this a guy thing?
hu.gif

For what it's worth...you are RIGHT. I would definitely be blowing the fan IN to the room I'm sleeping in to be comfortable all night. The night air is cool and you want that air in your room. You can turn the fan around again in the morning to blow the hot air out.

I can lend you my DH.. He will do whatever is necessary to make the room he sleeps in cool. Regardless of air flow. Freezes my arse off half the time. Course I sleep under a comforter year round too though...
hide.gif

You want to be most comfortable when you sleep, in order to get proper rest, my vote is rock your socks with that fan blowing in the room at night.

You win. Fight over.
wink.png

...JP

Here is a solution that perhaps both of you both can live with.

Close the bedroom door and put the fan in the window to suck in the cooler air. That way it won't pressurize the rest of the house. This would work best if you have 2 windows in the bedroom for airflow purposes.

Quote:
I agree with this. Comfort is important than trying to equalize the pressure or air cooling out of the basement. Turn the fan in at night and in the morning, out they blow.

Really I do not see how can a fan blow from basement for cool air unless you are sitting next to the landing.

How about putting a fan in your bedroom blowing in and another fan in another room (but on the same floor) blowing out...creates a cross breeze through the top of the house that will get out all the hot air built up during the day. Good luck convincing him that this is better than 'his' idea...and yes, it is a 'man thing'. I have one that doesn't want to do anything that isn't 'his' idea...no matter what it is, if he didn't think of it, then it wont work! He wasn't like this when I married him! He even used to think I had a good idea once in a while! I don't know what happened to him...
sad.png
I prove him wrong so often!
lol.png
You'd think he would learn!

LOL. We had same arguement here.

I shut the air off at night to save money and now we have a fan in our window blowing IN and we keep the bedroom door open for airflow. I keep the bathroom window open at the same time for cross ventilation.

Unless its windy, then I open everything!
smile.png

You cant "pressurize" anything that is not air-tight. Tell him that. Perhaps he meant something else. Your theory is correct for how it could work, potentially.
How's it working?

Back
Top Bottom