Is this a normal comb & wattle size??

"You should see me after yogurt"
View attachment 3676636
IMG_20231107_134703~2.jpg

Before and after frostbite...
20211117_160553.jpg
IMG_20230701_130759.jpg

It does not. Trust me. My SG rooster had huge comb and wattles, just like yours. Despite everything that I tried, he got severe frostbite early this year and lost more than half of his wattles. Vaseline can sometimes make things worse. He seems far happier now that they are smaller, though. I do feel bad that for a few days he was in so much pain and discomfort that I had to hand feed and water him, but it seems to have been worth it. ❤️
I'm not sure what to do other than bring him in my utility room. That will be hard to keep him there all winter though.

I'm not sure what to do other than bring him in my utility room. That will be hard to keep him there all winter though.
I find that mine actually prefer colder weather. Not negative 50 cold, but below freezing. The deep litter method helps keep my coop warm enough that the average winter temperature does not bother them. Where are you? That will help determine what your weather is usually like, and will help others in the future be able to offer advice should you need it. 😊

I'll probably have to bring him in the utility room but I don't think I can do it the whole winter. I'll have to come up with something though.

Do you treat them with anything? Like antibiotic ointment? I may call my local vet and ask questions.
When they have frostbite? No. I was advised not to do anything. I kept him as warm as I could, and I kept him fed and watered. I let nature take its course, and waited for the frostbitten part to fall off. I did keep my eye on him constantly, though. He had a fever for a little while, but again, I just kept him warm and offered warm broth, cool water, and heated mash. He healed up just fine, and our bond is stronger than ever since it happened (this rooster regularly went after me before this happened). You can give him some painkillers (I do not know how much of what, but others on here know dosing, medications, and all of that), but I did not do it, as I was terrified of overdosing my boy.

Is this your first winter with chickens? 😊

Hi! I don't know if I've put this in the right place or not but I have a rooster with a huge comb and wattles. I wondered if anyone had ever seen chickens like this? The picture doesn't do it justice, it looks so much bigger in person.
In this picture/ video he has blood spots all over his comb and wattles. He got into a fight with one of my other roosters and bled a lot. It took me a bit to get to him to break it up.

View attachment 3676627View attachment 3676629
When my roosters fight, I find that they back off very quickly if you spray cold water on their combs. Obviously do not do it when the temperatures drop, but if it is above 40° and they are fighting, they get sprayed. 😁

I find that mine actually prefer colder weather. Not negative 50 cold, but below freezing. The deep litter method helps keep my coop warm enough that the average winter temperature does not bother them. Where are you? That will help determine what your weather is usually like, and will help others in the future be able to offer advice should you need it. 😊
I live in Parksville, Kentucky. We have a big mountain behind us that hides the sun a lot of the time. This makes it even colder than in town. With the wind chill at times it can definitely get below zero. I usually buy several bales of straw to line the inside of my building with and put it around pretty thick on the floor. If it got bad enough, I could probably run a drop cord to my building and run a heater but I don't like doing that for obvious reasons. I had been building a new coop this past summer but I have a lot of back issues and I had to put a halt to it until spring. This way I would have two large coops. I'll post a pic of what I've done so far. I did it all by myself! 😁. I have a lot of work left to do but I'm going to put nesting boxes on the outside so it'll be more roomy inside. I got an inexpensive automatic door that opens when the sun comes up and closes when the sun goes down.
1699568260288985050780933116386.jpg
1699568339560431571637041982251.jpg
20230904_183043.jpg

Last edited:
When they have frostbite? No. I was advised not to do anything. I kept him as warm as I could, and I kept him fed and watered. I let nature take its course, and waited for the frostbitten part to fall off. I did keep my eye on him constantly, though. He had a fever for a little while, but again, I just kept him warm and offered warm broth, cool water, and heated mash. He healed up just fine, and our bond is stronger than ever since it happened (this rooster regularly went after me before this happened). You can give him some painkillers (I do not know how much of what, but others on here know dosing, medications, and all of that), but I did not do it, as I was terrified of overdosing my boy.

Is this your first winter with chickens? 😊
No it's not my first winter with chickens but it is my first winter with a rooster like this. I've never had any issues or sicknesses (knock on wood 🪵) other than one of my hens had an inflamed preen gland. I would put her in a bath of Epsom salts and rub it with ointment. This took care of the problem. I'm always looking at them and out doing things with them. I let them free range most of the day.

When they have frostbite? No. I was advised not to do anything. I kept him as warm as I could, and I kept him fed and watered. I let nature take its course, and waited for the frostbitten part to fall off. I did keep my eye on him constantly, though. He had a fever for a little while, but again, I just kept him warm and offered warm broth, cool water, and heated mash. He healed up just fine, and our bond is stronger than ever since it happened (this rooster regularly went after me before this happened).
Pretty much did the same thing. And you know I was pretty wary of Kong also until he got into a fight thru the hardware cloth with my other Roo and snapped his spur off at the leg. Having to carry him in everyday to rewrap his leg caused a bond that's unbreakable now it seems. I've accidently got face to face with him a couple of times and never once has he shown any indication of aggression. More curiosity than anything. Like... "Hey, whatcha doin'?" 🙂

Spur never grew back, been about a year now. And it's like his other one has stopped growing. I've never done any maintenance to either of his spurs.

Back
Top Bottom