Is this a normal egg belly for a goose?

Rachel_liz15

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2022
This is Lucy, she is a buff goose, about one year old now, and she just started laying about a month ago. I noticed her belly hanging a little lower than usual about two weeks ago, and I googled it, but couldn't really find much about it. She was acting perfectly normal and I felt her belly to make sure she wasn't egg bound, so I just wrote it up as typical egg belly. However, I've noticed its gotten more pronounced, and now she is waddling worse than usual and is picking at / cleaning her vent area a lot. Am I over reacting? Lucy is my first female goose so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Any advice from someone more experienced than I would be GREATLY appreciated!

IMG_7728.jpg
IMG_7730.jpg
IMG_7732.jpg

This is Lucy, she is a buff goose, about one year old now, and she just started laying about a month ago. I noticed her belly hanging a little lower than usual about two weeks ago, and I googled it, but couldn't really find much about it. She was acting perfectly normal and I felt her belly to make sure she wasn't egg bound, so I just wrote it up as typical egg belly. However, I've noticed its gotten more pronounced, and now she is waddling worse than usual and is picking at / cleaning her vent area a lot. Am I over reacting? Lucy is my first female goose so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Any advice from someone more experienced than I would be GREATLY appreciated!

View attachment 3786746View attachment 3786747View attachment 3786748
The paunches are just evidence that she's a producer.

Back
Top Bottom