Is this a possible prolapse vent in my hen? (graphic picture!)

tachurra

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014

HI I am desperate!! my poor hen started feeling sick two days ago, she was bleeding and was staying inside the coop all day long. We brought her inside and bathe her, put some antibiotic creme for infections and ever since then we kept her in the dark so she wont lay eggs. My question is, is this prolapse vent? if so how do I clean all that blood? and what do I do? I tried soaking her a while so it would be easier to clean all that blood, but it wont come off. Also, is she going to get cured? will she lays eggs again or s this permanent damage?
thanks for any info! I am desperate what else to do!!
thanks thanks

From the picture the blood and damage seem to be mostly above the vent. A prolapse happens when the vent comes out exposing pink tissue, sometimes from being egg bound. There could be a small prolapse (or larger one that went back inside) and the other chickens may have started pecking her after seeing red, and damaged the area causing bleeding and feather loss. Epsom salts in a warm bath with gentle scrubbing with a cloth, then applying antibiotic ointment to the damage, and honey or PreparationH to the prolapse are the usual treatment. She may lay a couple of eggs before the darkness (usually 16 hours a day) will stop her laying. She can heal, but if it was a prolapse, she can do it again. Nustock cream which is basically sulfur and pine oil is a good thing to put on an area to keep other chickens from pecking, and promotes healing. Here is a link to read: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

thanks!
I did everything. But she is still bleeding ,she is not laying eggs, and I kept her away from other for 4 days now and still bleeding in the mornings...anything else could be going on?

Back
Top Bottom