Is this a prolapse?

PippinTheChicken

🧡🤍💙
Mar 19, 2021
UK
My Coop
My Coop
Today I went out only to find my 3 year old silkie has something (?) hanging from her vent. I think it's a prolapse, and I tried looking around for some information about what to do but I'm still a little confused.
Any help would be appreciated.

(Pictures coming)

More info and pics

She seems to be acting normal, possibly a little more slow but nothing super different

Sorry these pictures kinda suck

Attachments

• 20240524_180718.jpg
    20240524_180718.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240524_180716.jpg
    20240524_180716.jpg
    671.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240524_180709.jpg
    20240524_180709.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240524_180703.jpg
    20240524_180703.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 10
I think she has a prolapse and vent gleet. I would give her a bath, then treat the prolapse. After that is better, I recommend a quarter sized dollop of anti fungal cream every 12 hours (the kind for athletes foot) on her vent (like ON it, it going in somewhat is to be expected.) And epsom salt baths every 48 hours. That cured my hens vent gleet. Sorry I can't be of more help with the prolapse.

More info and pics

She seems to be acting normal, possibly a little more slow but nothing super different

Sorry these pictures kinda suck
Today I went out only to find my 3 year old silkie has something (?) hanging from her vent. I think it's a prolapse, and I tried looking around for some information about what to do but I'm still a little confused.
Any help would be appreciated.

(Pictures coming)
She has a prolapse. The white disharge is urates which is normally seen with a prolapse.

Give her a good soaking in warm epsom salts bath, clean off all the built up poop.
You will need to keep the exposed tissue moist with ointment, oil or raw honey.
Keep her where others can't pick at the tissue and where flies can't land on the tissue and lay eggs.

Very Important to get extra Calcium into her ASAP. Calcium Citrate with D3 can be found at Walmart, CVS, etc. Just pop 1 tablet into her daily.

You can gently try to push the tissue back in once you have cleaned her well and applied ointment, but it may not stay in. She may have another egg on the way too, hard to know. If it doesn't stay in, then keep the tissue moist.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

She has a prolapse. The white disharge is urates which is normally seen with a prolapse.

Give her a good soaking in warm epsom salts bath, clean off all the built up poop.
Keep her where others can't pick at the tissue and where flies can't land on the tissue and lay eggs.

Very Important to get extra Calcium into her ASAP. Calcium Citrate with D3 can be found at Walmart, CVS, etc. Just pop 1 tablet into her daily.

You can gently try to push the tissue back in once you have cleaned her well and applied ointment, but it may not stay in. She may have another egg on the way too, hard to know. If it doesn't stay in, then keep the tissue moist.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/
Okay I've done all that but it's not going back in?

Okay I've done all that but it's not going back in?
Updated photos?
Swollen tissue often will not go back in immediately. It can takes days to resolve a prolapse, if it all.
You'll have to continue to care for her daily, keeping the tissue cleaned and the ointment applied.
Calcium once daily is very important.

Attachments

• 20240525_182555.jpg
    20240525_182555.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom