Is this a pure Ameraucana?

She is a very pretty Easter Egger.

The biggest giveaway is that her legs are green/willow, not slate/gray (Ameraucanas must have slate legs -- not willow).

***Edited to add that most varieties of Araucana are supposed to have willow legs -- but they also have other distinguishing characteristics that allow them to be easily told apart from Easter Eggers.***

Last edited:
Quote:
One of the first things you can do is see if your bird conforms to one of the colors that is accepted by the Ameraucana Breeders Club. If you go to their website, you can see pictures of each of the colors. Your bird, for example, isn't white enough to be a "White", and therefore can't possibly be a "true" Ameraucana, according to the standards for the breed.

It is a very difficult subject. Your bird might have a true white Ameraucana for a parent and a true Ameraucana of another color for the other parent..... Which would make you think it should be a "true" Ameraucana, but.....that mixing of the colors makes it what is known as an Easter Egger.

She's beautiful, by the way, and will most likely give you lovely blue-green eggs.

Susan

Susan -- I LOVE your signature.

I might have to steal it.
lol.png

Yeah... no one could ever use "clean" as a descriptor for OUR house...

Quote:
sorry Anne, got my 2 breeds mixed up
tongue.png
6 kids got me running ragged, lucky I remember my name
Bob, er uh sorry, Krista

Ok, actually now that this was brought up, leg color......
If two different color Ameraucana were crossed would leg color be the same as one parent or the other? Or would it be a mix? Maybe I should ask over in the genetics forum?

Krista

Quote:
Six kids! I only have ONE (with #2 on the way) and I can hardly remember my name as it is!

My husband CLAIMS he wants 5, but I have the feeling he'll call it quits after 2 or 3...
roll.png

Quote:
All colors of Ameraucana must have slate legs, except for blacks, which are supposed to have "dark slate to black."

Slate legs X slate legs = all slate legged offspring, regardless of plumage color

The only exception being if it was a mix with a black Ameraucana -- Slate legs X "dark slate to black" = ?? Probably lots of dark slate legs with a few black, but I'm not sure.

Quote:
Help yourself....
I just happened upon it recently myself, and it has done wonders for my outlook on my life.
I stole it myself from a woman painter, chicken raiser, general land-lover in New Mexico....with her permission, of course....

The more the merrier....

Susan

I like that quote too. I have a little plaque hanging above my desk that says, "Creative minds are seldom tidy!"

And I've always loved this Phyllis Diller quote:
“Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing.”​

Back
Top Bottom