Is this a pure Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bearcat73, Sep 25, 2008.

1. bearcat73

bearcat73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    I bought some hatching eggs on ebay and they were for "Pure Ameraucanas" It was my first hatch and i only had one hatch. She is GORGEOUS. She looks like an Eagle, so that's what we named her. But she has black on her, so I'm not sure if she is actually a pure ameraucana or an easter egger. I love her regardless, but I'm just curious.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    She very well could be a non-standard color (mixed) color Ameraucana. She is pretty

Krista

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    No, its a easter egger for sure. Very pretty though.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:LOL.... Is that a polite way of saying EE ??

5. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to admit that I am very confused by americauna and easter egger
    Sometimes even the araucanas.
    I have some, and only know what they are because of what I was told when I bought them, but who is to say those people were even right where I bought them.
    I know this has probably been explained only one million times, but can someone give me a rundown on how you can tell its an EE over the purebreed.

6. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Looks like an EE (a very HANDSOME? EE)...
    Those neck feathers look long, flowing, and pointy! Looks like it could be a roo?

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:The reason I say non-standard because body shape, comb type etc look correct, but color is wrong. EE are mutts. I *believe* that if my true ameraucana cross colors then it should really be called a non-standard color Ameraucana. Which means the eggs color WILL be blue(unlike some EE) and appearance will be that of an Ameraucana, just wrong color and ineligible for entries. For example, if a white german shepherd is born, we don't say it's NOT a german shepherd, we call it a non-standard color german shepherd. I said "could" be a non-standard color Ameraucana, but could not be called a true ameraucana as she does not meet the standard of color. That's just my 2 cents [​IMG]

Krista

edited to say that many eggs are sold on ebay as TRUE ameraucana and araucana but in reality are only EE

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:EE are mutts that lay(usually) a tinted egg, whether it be blue, green, or pink. Ameraucana and Araucana are pure breeds, which hatcheries don't have.

9. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

No, I know that there are the purebreeds and the mutts(EE)
    what I was wanting to know is how you can tell the difference.
    The colors are different, combs etc.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I don't know. A lot of the EE have the correct comb type of an Ameraucana. Leg color is usually green I think on the EE, but some Ameraucana are supposed to have willow. I think that is the reason that all the non-standard colors are just called EE [​IMG] , just because some can look like one and be a mix. I have a mutt that looks just like an australorp, if I hadn't known it was a mutt I could never tell. I think the EE is a safety net when it comes to off color Ameraucana just because you don't know the lineage. I'm sure the Ameraucana police is going to have my head on this one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by