is this a purebred bourbon red, royal palm, calico turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by hoppy, Oct 25, 2011.

1. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    i bought some hatching eggs, a few sets and these are a few of what I hatched. the bird in the front (what is it, I was thinking royal palm or palm cross, or calico?). the bird in the back, is that a bourbon red hen (she hides behind him all the time so this is the best picture I can get) both are 4 months old. her color is more muted then the mature bourbons but she is the same color as one bird listed on feathersite under BR.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They're pretty! I would say you could be right about the RP mix.....

3. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    yup, you've got yourself a good old fashioned 'heritage as they all say...' mutt.

4. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Mixed but they will be very striking turkeys when grown.
    Best wishes for them

5. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    well I purchased the eggs on here as pure on the bourbon red, the other was one of 2 batches including auburns and palms. even my midget white is huge- close to 16# at 5 months and as large as a BB white. I should invite the sellers to come look at the birds now they are grown and see the colors are off.

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    it looks just like my brothers RP x BR cross birds. beautiful birds when they grow out. he has one hen that is almost a champagne color. he doesn't sell them a pure breds or anything just as turkeys but they sell very well because they are stunning.
    I personally would be disappointed if I paid for pure breds and got them.

7. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:yes I am disappointed. if I was just going to eat them that would be one thing, but not really the plan now. too small to eat this t-day.
    so they need to winter over.

8. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    deff mixed but nice..

9. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    i have 12 RP/BR mutt poults that are several weeks old.

10. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    The one in the back looks like a Bourbon Red. They get darker as they get older. The one in the front looks like it might be a sweetgrass? A sweetgrass is a Royal Palm without the Narragansett genes. If it is a royal palm crossed with a BR, then it would only have one Narri gene, and so might look like a sweetgrass. However, it would also have one red gene. I wouldn't rule that out based on the photo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by