is this a purebred bourbon red, royal palm, calico turkey?

hoppy

I'm not all fluff
12 Years
May 5, 2007
central maine
i bought some hatching eggs, a few sets and these are a few of what I hatched. the bird in the front (what is it, I was thinking royal palm or palm cross, or calico?). the bird in the back, is that a bourbon red hen (she hides behind him all the time so this is the best picture I can get) both are 4 months old. her color is more muted then the mature bourbons but she is the same color as one bird listed on feathersite under BR.
1961_eggs_065.jpg

Last edited:
well I purchased the eggs on here as pure on the bourbon red, the other was one of 2 batches including auburns and palms. even my midget white is huge- close to 16# at 5 months and as large as a BB white. I should invite the sellers to come look at the birds now they are grown and see the colors are off.

it looks just like my brothers RP x BR cross birds. beautiful birds when they grow out. he has one hen that is almost a champagne color. he doesn't sell them a pure breds or anything just as turkeys but they sell very well because they are stunning.
I personally would be disappointed if I paid for pure breds and got them.

Quote:
yes I am disappointed. if I was just going to eat them that would be one thing, but not really the plan now. too small to eat this t-day.
so they need to winter over.

The one in the back looks like a Bourbon Red. They get darker as they get older. The one in the front looks like it might be a sweetgrass? A sweetgrass is a Royal Palm without the Narragansett genes. If it is a royal palm crossed with a BR, then it would only have one Narri gene, and so might look like a sweetgrass. However, it would also have one red gene. I wouldn't rule that out based on the photo.

Back
Top Bottom