Is this a purebred Muskovy?

I use corn starch as a blood stop on the few occasions when I trim my rabbits' nails too close.

Is it possible she has 'wet feather'? I don't know much about it, but I read a few forums back that you pretty much just have to wait for them to molt to get good feathers again.

I know I was told Muscovies don't really do the swimming,living-in-the-water-for-hours thing like ducks do & I've noticed mine doesn't have any use for water after getting her feathers cleaned up. Miss Lydia & others here have a lot of Muscovies so they may be able to tell you if what I was told holds any truth or not.
Oh & I have heard the corn starch thing too, does it work well?

Awww, poor girl, glad you are giving her a home.

My muscovies were raised with "regular" ducks and they all dove in the water and swam when I first gave them a pool. After the novelty wore off, the muscovies used it less and less. They prefer to breed on the ground, it seems. They really rarely climb in the water although they have access to 3 swimming pools and several large rubber horse tubs filled with water. They just walk up and drink, but hardly ever swim. They don't sink though, when they do get in. They just don't seem to have much desire for water. I hope she's doing much better in no time.

I've never had to clip a duck's nails (I've been tempted, since 'scovies have CLAWS) but the couple of times I've had to take care of dogs that people let get overgrown, I did clip them a bit at a time when I was able to spread out the clipping, so as not to cut into the quick and hurt an already traumatized dog. It does recede when done that way. I expect if you must do it all at once though, that she would be fine. If you can, I'd do it little by little, if it were me.

Lucky duck to be coming home with you. :)

Thanks guys! I'm going to give her a few days before I mess with her nails. And I will clip them a little at a time, they don't seem to be causing her much pain at all. She is SUCH a sweetheart! It really makes me wonder if someone actually dropped her off at the barn as I've never seen her fly and when you walk up to "catch" her, yeah, she will waddle away but as soon as you touch her even the slightest she will stand still and let you pick her up with no fuss at all.

The barn didn't have a place for her to bath herself :( she has been there almost a year too so she is pretty raggety the poor thing and she smells like cow poop. I really don't know what she's been eating either, I'm going to assume the cows feed....and today when I went over to get her she was sitting there eating cat food with the cats lol

Thanks guys! I'm going to give her a few days before I mess with her nails. And I will clip them a little at a time, they don't seem to be causing her much pain at all. She is SUCH a sweetheart! It really makes me wonder if someone actually dropped her off at the barn as I've never seen her fly and when you walk up to "catch" her, yeah, she will waddle away but as soon as you touch her even the slightest she will stand still and let you pick her up with no fuss at all.

The barn didn't have a place for her to bath herself :( she has been there almost a year too so she is pretty raggety the poor thing and she smells like cow poop. I really don't know what she's been eating either, I'm going to assume the cows feed....and today when I went over to get her she was sitting there eating cat food with the cats lol

I've never had another other breed but Scovies so don't know how to compare mine with another duck as far as swimming goes but mine do like water and my younger ducks play in it alot, my oldest drake likes to bath once a day and usually he'll have a couple females with him, one of my older girls she'll be 8 this July does get wet feather by the end of the season, she looks raggidty and doesn't repel water very well, but after she molts is good to go again. so I am thinking with some good quality feed and TLC you'll see your girl shine before too long. She will learn to love the pool but she looks young so may have never had one before. and cat food would be okay for her to eat she needs some extra protein right now but it can't replace the balanced diet of her feed. They are the sweetest breed of ducks , Enjoy!

ah, how cute! mine all have access to little mini pools and of coarse any low laying water, they all bathe in it quite often. I have even seen mine dive which is hysterical to see. I have never owned another breed of duck so I cannot compare.. I gather other breeds tend to float around in water more the 'scovies do since mine I have never seen do that.

Mine will swim but prefer just to bathe and get out. I am sure she will look much better after her next moult. You are very kind to take the girl in. Muscoveys are a lovely breed of duck.

Back
Top Bottom