is this a roo @ 5 weeks

cotuitchickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 13, 2013

Hi fellow chicken peeps. Can you help with the gender of this store bought 5 week old barred rock. Sorry for the bad pics, however this weekend we noticed the comb turning pink and small red wattles at this time. were ok with a roo just don't know for sure thanks to any body willing to help. this is are first flock.

It is quite likely a cockerel. Pullets do not normally sprout combs or wattles until much closer to maturity. Give it another couple of weeks. If these secondary sex characteristics really grow large and red? You'll know for sure.
One other possible issue is that BSL, or black sex link, males also look surprisingly similar at this age and many food store folks and customers mix them up in the bins. It happens a lot.. If some gold leakage, well, considerable gold leaking appears on his back and wings later in life, you'll know he is actually a BSL cockerel.

Thanks to everybody who replied. hope to have some more pics soon as these little guys can grow. Due the cockerels benefit from early handling as he seems very tame but was very curious early on.

I am not sure that's a boy. I raised a bunch of BR for someone and about a third of them at that age had pink come in but they never got RED. They are all pullets. I see black splash on its legs, and its not really light in color. I wouldn't write this one off yet.

Thanks for your response. Did those other rocks have small red wattles and I agree that the legs are dark and the barring seems more pullet like it will be cool to see how this one turns out.

I have 2 BRs 8 weeks old, they have no wattles, small yellowish combs and dark wash on their legs and feet. I am hoping they are both pullets.

Again, 100% pullets.

It is important for BR owners to train their own eye to see the obvious difference in males/females at two different ages. The first important milestone is 6-8 weeks. Cockerels have 2 barring genes and their bars are bright and white, and at that age, they sprout red combs and wattles, while the pullets do not sprout anything. Since the female only receives one barring genes, she appears darker and her feathering appears to be darker.

At 18 weeks, the cockerels stand tall and are lanky, with a cocky walk and stance. Their saddle feather appear as well. The pullet at 18 weeks is more compact looking, lower to the ground and has a more matronly shape. She does not have saddle feather and her tail is shorter and fan shaped.

Back
Top Bottom