1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a Roo or is something wrong with it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chantald, Nov 28, 2008.

1. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

I have these two Bantam chicks. They arrived from Ideal as day olds towards the end of October.. mabye a week before Halloween.. I can't remember exactly.

I noticed today that these two had these.. growths.. and are they just little Roos or is something wrong with them?

No idea the breed, just chose clean leg variety bantams straight run.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

The other white one (not pictured) has nothing on it's nose and the two laced ones have smaller ones.. hardly see them.. and

the one that might be an EE mix has none either..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    Haha, no their okay! Their combs are coming in is all![​IMG]

The first is def a rooster, as for the rest, they look like rose combs or some other comb so it will be a little more difficult to tell with these until they grow up!
    Good luck!
    Crystalchik

3. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Looks like they have rose combs.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yup, your little roo baby (the first one) looks alright (and adorable I might add). [​IMG] Some comb types are just easier to see at an early age...and can look pretty strange when you first see them. [​IMG] Good luck with your pretty babies. [​IMG]

5. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

Well good.. I've never seen that type of comb and was concerned.. It doesn't matter that he is a he.. I don't mind bantam roosters..we have one OEG bantam rooster already.. hopefully they can get along..

Thanks!

6. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    All chicks have that hard pink shell kind of thing when they are that age... that is it's comb growing in!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. speedabug

speedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Its just their combs coming in.[​IMG] dont worry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by