Is this a Roo

It is a pullet nearing POL. The people that are saying rooster are wrong. First clue is that they're calling a young bird a rooster. It would be a cockerel. Second is that they don't know what they're looking at. This bird has zero male traits that would be very obvious by now.

I have a pullet (now a hen) that crows. That isn't always an indicator.

Number of chickens someone has had etc means nothing if they didn't put in the time and effort to properly educate themselves. One of my friends has never had chickens. She could go out tomorrow and buy 400 chickens. Then she could say she owns 400. Does that make her an expert? No.

It is a pullet nearing POL. The people that are saying rooster are wrong. First clue is that they're calling a young bird a rooster. It would be a cockerel. Second is that they don't know what they're looking at. This bird has zero male traits that would be very obvious by now.

I have a pullet (now a hen) that crows. Tbat isn't always an indicator.

Number of chickens someone has had etc means nothing if they didn't put in the time and effort to properly educate themselves. One of my friends has never had chickens. She could go out tomorrow and buy 400 chickens. Then she could say she owns 400. Does that make her an expert? No.
I agree!

And he’s been mounting the top hen
'She'.
Sometimes females will mount each other to show dominance. Nothing entirely specific to males.
^^^
Sometimes females will crow as well. It's more common in hens than pullets, but it can happen. When did she start to "crow". I'm sure she wasn't actually crowing, because you said she was "trying to", so what does it sound like? Can you upload a video if you have any? Because you have a pullet. She could be moving in to be the "top hen" How old are your other hens/pullets that you keep with her? Any gender can get mad because they're being pecked at. That doesn't specify anything.
Agreed!
This bird has no characteristics of a cockerel. Its a pullet. She'll be laying soon.
X2...
He doesn’t squat
'She'! ( not trying to be picky :) )
We’ve had people look at him before and said he’s more then likely a rooster and even my husband’s dad who’s had countless chickens said he looks like a rooster
Well, sorry, but they are not correct, that bird has not indications that it is male.
That bird is undeniably a female. If it's a cockerel I'll buy a hat for the specific purpose of eating it. Barred Rocks are sexually dimorphic in plumage. That is clearly a female pattern, not a male. The grey wash down the front of the legs is another indicator. Not to mention is has no male-specific, pointed hackle or saddle feathers. Females can and do crow. Some females will attempt mounting as a display of dominance or because of a hormone imbalance caused by injury to an ovary. Either way the bird in question is a pullet.
^^^!

I have a pullet (now a hen) that crows. That isn't always an indicator.

Listen to Overy, she is nothing but a pro at this!

Back
Top Bottom