1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Portia, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    This chick is only a little over 2 weeks, so it might be early to definatively sex him..but just look at this comb. He is also starting to develop some waddle...none of the other chicks have even a trace of waddle yet. What do you think?

Here he is.....[​IMG]
    A picture of one of the 'girls'....[​IMG]

And here he is in the mix of the other 5...[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd say yes, you have a boy. Are they SLWs? If so, a pretty definite boy.

3. Portia

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Yes they are. Now I just have to convince my DH to let me keep 1 roo

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The comb doesn't look pink to me, so I'd say no. Their combs are naturally wider, so you can't really sex based on that. I'd say you won't know for sure for a couple more weeks to see if the comb pinks up.

Jody

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I may have to check my eyes, Jody, LOL. I see pinky tones starting to come in, but Portia, you have the chick in person...is the comb starting to color up a little? My SLW girls didn't have a comb like that for over a month or more.

6. IrkanInvader89

IrkanInvader89 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Within The Matrix
    When I saw that post in BST I thought immediately it was male. It's still hard to tell definitively, but definitely looks male to me.

7. Portia

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    The comb is not pink, in fact some of the other SLW with smaller combs are a bit more on the pink side. I think the pink is the reflection off the red bulb up in the brooder. In my batch of SLW, all of them look pretty unique; unlike some of the other breeds I have.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  8. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

I swore that 2 of my 5 would be roos, and many on here agreed with me and all are hens [​IMG] You probably just need to wait...

9. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    i already have my slws sexed and they barely have feather. the combs stick out like crazy! that is defn a boy!

by the way, are your's unusually flighty? mine are crazy compared to my others

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    SLW combs are deceiving. I would wait until week 4-5 to be sure. I'm hoping it's a girl for you.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by