Is this a ROO???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Grand-hen-ma, May 27, 2011.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Some pics of my new girls I got yesterday. One of them, (First 2 are the same bird) I feel is a Roo. Can anyone tell me for sure?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a white Leg horn, right??

[​IMG]

This supposed to be a young EE that lays blue eggs

[​IMG]

And this is supposed to be a red sex link

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    first one is a girly whirly [​IMG] and the last one i dont think is a rsl, i think it may be an nhr [​IMG]

eta i think theyre all ladies

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  3. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Thanks. I wasn't sure because she's young and the guy I got her from said he wasn't 100% sure either.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2011
  4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    she looks very girly to me too.. pretty BR as well..
    good luck and have fun with them
    )O(
    Pink

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Your red sex-link looks more like a rhode island red. [​IMG]

6. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Might be a boy, how old is it? With BR it's hard to tell because the females can sometimes develop large combs and the males can have small ones and of course the feather markings are the same, soooo....... But I've read that females can take on male traits like crowing, protecting, trying to mount & mate and can even develop spurs, so once again????? However, if it lays an egg, then there won't be any doubt, well I take that back, that's not true either, some say that if a roo isn't present that the alpha female can take on the male roll as I mentioned above and then even stop laying eggs, so therefore, maybe they'll never even ever start depending on the age and flock dynamics and then you'll never know. LOL!!!

7. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:Not true. Barred rock feathering is different in males and females which makes them one of the easier breeds to sex. Males will have more white in their barring and females will have darker barring.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    How old? And doe it have the skinny spiky feathers coming out of its saddle too? this one appears to have some streamer type hackle feathers, so I would want to see the saddle and know how old before I would say. At first I thought pullet, but then thought twice with the hackles.
    The others are just as you said, I would say. Red Sex Links are most times lighter than that red one you have, but it doesn't mean it is not a sex link. If it is a RIR, either way she will lay a brown egg.

9. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Photo 1 is a Cuckoo Marans. And she's a hen. CM's develop large combs and wattles and that can be confusing.

She's BEAUTIFUL. I had one in my original flock but sadly, she turned out to be a he and had to be rehomed.

Enjoy those dark chocolate eggs she's going to be making for you.

10. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Can you get a full body picture of the first one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by