1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sabianshepherds, Jul 9, 2011.

1. sabianshepherds

sabianshepherds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    I saw some picts somewhere of adults hens that have combs and waddles like this. Mind you it's only 8 weeks old, and the other two have considerably smaller combs. I tried to look for picts of saddle feathers and hackles, but the picts were not there (on the forum). What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    None of my 8 week old BPR have combs that size, if that helps. This picture was taken a couple of days ago while the chicks anxiously waited for me to take down the pop door chicken wire so they could go out. Run finally finished!

They were born May 10 or 11.

[​IMG]

3. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    WOW Those are 8 weeks? mine are 9 today! no wattles or combs like that from my br [​IMG] I only have one astralorp that has red wattles and a comb but they are small...but bigger then everybody else's. but are NOT THAT BIG!! Yikes [​IMG] thats gotta be a roo! lucky you!!! [​IMG]

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's awful young for such large comb and wattles but I think it's just a fast maturing girl. Not considering those and looking at feather color, tail development and black on front of legs says pullet. Heritage stock pullets will have very small combs but the hatchery stock sport larger.

5. sabianshepherds

sabianshepherds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    I got the eggs from a friend, who got them from a friend, who got them from her birds, who I think came from McMurry's a few years ago. They were hatched May 8.

This bird was the first to hatch- first to feather out, so at first I thought it might be a pullet. Then that big comb grew out, and I was confused. This bird is hardly passive either, and harasses the others. I treated it like a roo until I saw the picts on mypetchicken. If I had not hatched it myself, I would sware it was older.

The first pict is flash, the second shows she is as dark as the others, and in all respects, she looks like them.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    The comb says boy, but the color says girl. Unless it is a roo with a single barring gene. If the hen was barred, and the father was non-barred, it would produce a bird that color that was a rooster. To look for saddle feathers, catch him/her and part the feathers in the middle of the back. Look at the tips of the new feathers coming in, in full sunlight. When they are first coming in they all will look sharp, but the roo saddle feathers are extra shiny tipped in the sunlight, even before they spread out and look like feathers. Usually they are somewhat darker than the surrounding feathers on barred birds. It may be too early for it to even be growing out those feathers yet though... but when they start to come in, you wll know what to look for.

7. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Like onthespot said, comb says boy, coloring says girl. Strange!

If you need help finding them, here is a diagram of what a mostly mature banty EE roos feathers look like.

[​IMG]

8. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Looks like a roo to me [​IMG]

9. gd4sumthnmom

gd4sumthnmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    That's a rooster...I have one identical to yours, even same kind I think. My barred rock isn't even getting any tail feathers like a normal rooster but he looks just like yours. Mine is starting to get spurs at only 10 weeks too.

10. flowerhensowner

flowerhensowner Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Northeast Ohio
    its a hen look at her tail but she is very developed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by