Is this a rooster or hen?

THANK YOU! And the neck feathers are pointed. And long. But what about it's size, no spurs, no crowing, and not even the bit of confrontation from the rooster. Just the hens. I am, and have been for a while, leaning towards rooster. Except for the things I just listed. Have you ever known of roosters to also have these traits?
He is too young to have developed spurs and depending on the parentage, Easter Eggers can be slow to develop and even stay rather small.
There is always the omega bird in each flock and seemingly that is his situation in his current flock where the other bigger cockerel already claimed the leading position.
As the omega will avoid to challenge the top male, he will not crow.
When gaining more self-confidence he will start to crow. But at the same time this will challenge the top male and can lead to fighting.

It is quite normal for males to get along well when the hierarchy is already established. And the higher ranking male usually treats the other more like a submissive hen.

Last edited:
He is too young to have developed spurs and depending on the parentage, Easter Eggers can be slow to develop and even stay rather small.
There is always the omega bird in each flock and seemingly that is his situation in his current flock where the other bigger cockerel already claimed the leading position.
As the omega will avoid to challenge the top male, he will not crow.
When gaining more self-confidence he will start to crow. But at the same time this will challenge the top male and can lead to fighting.

It is quite normal for males to get along well when the hierarchy is already established. And the higher ranking male usually treats the other more like a submissive hen.
I have had multiple roos, several times in my lifetime. I have never experienced this. Especially when raised together. They both always begin to crow at same time. And have a few squabbles to establish dominance. But this bird truly acts like a hen. And I don't even see the spur bud. The other roo already has some growing. I am gonna move him tonight. Along with his girls. We will see how it goes. I truly appreciate the info.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE COMMENTS! I am gonna move "him" tonight, along with the girls that will be "his" flock. I hope he actually turns out to be a roo, and not just some quirky hen. Cause I really don't want to separate out these hens. But if he is a roo, and is gonna stay, he needs his own flock. So will sill see! Thanks again!!!!

Meanwhile, the OG flock, thinks freeranging means you come inside and knock over the dogwood bag for a treat.lol
20221010_165840.jpg

Nope. Mine have feathers like that and they are all female. This is a hen EE
It is an EE for sure. It was labeled either welsummer or olive egger at rural king. Their olive Eggers are basically EE. A hybrid bred for egg color. We know it's not a wellsummer. So it has to be an olive egger/ee. And their feathering can vary tremendously! Three things make me think it's a hen. It's size. Very small. Same as the hens. No spurs. Not even the spur buds. And, the roo that was with it has never even as much as pecked this one, that I have witnessed. That is odd to me. But the hens give it so many pecks! And it just retreats. I moved them all last night. Today, still a lot of pecking going on with the new flock. All the hens have been together since days old. And with a much bigger group. So, it will take time for them to establish order. Curious to how this turns out. So far, I can't make heads or tails out of the behavior. No indication yet, if it's roo or hen. Lol pretty bird though!

bought three chicks from rural king. They were in a tub labeled welsummer or olive egger. I do not know why they put these two in the same rub, because as chicks, they look identical. I was offered the chick's at the lower price, because they could not tell them one breed from another. They were all supposed to be pullets. I also had hatched some chicks from my own flock at the same time. All together, I have a flock of what is supposed to be seven hens and one rooster. They are all the same age, within days of each other. The chicken in question is the red hen in the picture. It does not crow, even though the rooster with them the same age, has been crowing for a few months now. But it looks like a rooster to me. However, besides not crowing, the rooster does not bother this chicken. But, the females pick on it constantly. I am so beyond confused by this situation. I have had chickens my whole life. This bird looks like a rooster. Acts like a hen. And the flock is acting very strange towards it. Any opinions greatly appreciated. They should begin laying in a math or so. So, given time, I will have an answer. But, I would remove it, and put it elsewhere, now, if it is a rooster. Flocks do peck each other. There has not been any blood drawn. But this bird is definitely the bottom. Which is fine, if it is a hen. But if it is because it's a rooster, then I want to move him. Any help is greatly appreciated
I see a hen.

That's a good point. Maybe "he" knows his place and is just submissive. I have raised many roosters together over the years. And I have never seen this before. Lol I have seen one rooster be submissive to another. And even work together on flock duties. But have never seen the hens reject the submissive roo. But. Every flock is different!
My third rooster was very slow to crow. He knows.

Back
Top Bottom