is this a rooster too?

Very red, well developed pea comb. I breed Easter Eggers. Even a fully matured hen won't have a comb that large. Then there are the darker red patches through the shoulder area. And there are the male specific hackle and saddle feathers.
I would like to keep one of the guys. Do easter egger roos have a good temperment? As of now.. they both have very different personalities.

I bought 4 sexed female Easter Egger chicks last spring, and of course one turned out to be male. I cannot have a rooster at my house, so I found him a new home. I of course hand-raised him from day 1, but he's the sweetest friendliest rooster ever. He has free range of the farm where he lives, but mostly sits on the back porch watching in through the windows because he wants in the house. His best friend is a cattle dog, and he will curl up with the dog in the yard and sunbathe.

If I were you, I'd keep working with them and see who has the best/sweetest personality. My boy is red like yours, with the deep burgundy wing color and his tail turned shiny green.

I bought 4 sexed female Easter Egger chicks last spring, and of course one turned out to be male. I cannot have a rooster at my house, so I found him a new home. I of course hand-raised him from day 1, but he's the sweetest friendliest rooster ever. He has free range of the farm where he lives, but mostly sits on the back porch watching in through the windows because he wants in the house. His best friend is a cattle dog, and he will curl up with the dog in the yard and sunbathe.

If I were you, I'd keep working with them and see who has the best/sweetest personality. My boy is red like yours, with the deep burgundy wing color and his tail turned shiny green.

There's no truth to this. There are just as many EE roosters that are red as there are red hens.

OP can you snap some better pics of the orpingtons.
There's no truth to this. There are just as many EE roosters that are red as there are red hens.

OP can you snap some better pics of the orpingtons.
y
IMG_0598.JPG
IMG_0602.JPG
IMG_0606.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG

The "rooster red" doesn't apply to the whole chicken color, but means that birds that get an intense burgundy red on their wings are usually roosters. See her black/white one as further proof of this. Pullets/hens usually have a uniform color, and roosters look more splotchy like hers does in these pics.

The "rooster red" doesn't apply to the whole chicken color, but means that birds that get an intense burgundy red on their wings are usually roosters. See her black/white one as further proof of this. Pullets/hens usually have a uniform color, and roosters look more splotchy like hers does in these pics.

I'm aware of all that and don't know why you're telling it to me?
Re-read my post and look at the post I quoted. That person said that red in an EE
means pullet normally.

That is not true and isn't the same as what youre talking about.

Back
Top Bottom