Is this a she or he dark (pencilled or partridge?) brahma?

I don't think there's anything wrong with him?? His feathers are growing very slowly compared to the other chooks, which I've read is common for the boys. He's a few weeks younger than the others, and has now grown bigger than all but one of my 9 birds. I bought him from a dodgy guy on gumtree, so he's probably not a pure dark pencilled brahma as advertised. But I don't really care, he's a sweet boy. We call him Eagle.
He looks healthy and normal as far as I can tell. Brahmas feather in slower than other breeds, so that is pretty normal.

He looks healthy and normal as far as I can tell. Brahmas feather in slower than other breeds, so that is pretty normal.
Thanks FuzzyCritters. His feathers did look a bit sparse in the first pics, but they're definitely growing in, just slowly is all. The most recent feathers to come through are so dark. He has lots more of those dark iridescent rooster feathers now :)

He's a Dark Brahma cockerel. Don't worry about him feathering slowly. Pretty normal for Brahmas. I had a Buff Brahma cockerel who had about the same feather development by age as yours. A bit slower than normal, but I wouldn't worry. Some are just incredibly slow

Brahmas feather in slower than other breeds, so that is pretty normal.

I can vouch for the slow-growth of the Brahmas.

When I got my chicks this past June the two Brahmas were 2 weeks old and the others were 3 days old but all through their growth the younger chicks were at approximately the same stage of feathering as the Brahmas.

Today one of the Australorps and the California White are laying and I don't expect eggs from the Brahma for a while yet. :)

My Light Brahma boy feathered super slow compared to the rest, even compared to the Light Brahma pullet. He's now a really gorgeous boy that is massive compared to the rest of my flock, and I hope he doesn't get tooooo much larger otherwise he won't fit through the auto chicken door on the run to the yard anymore. :lau

My Light Brahma boy feathered super slow compared to the rest, even compared to the Light Brahma pullet. He's now a really gorgeous boy that is massive compared to the rest of my flock, and I hope he doesn't get tooooo much larger otherwise he won't fit through the auto chicken door on the run to the yard anymore. :lau

My in-town rooster, a hatchery-quality Light Brahma, was a full 2 feet tall.

I don’t want to be judgemental but full grown female chickens are called hens, young hens are called pullets, full grown male chickens are called roosters or cocks, and young roosters are called cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom