Is this a sign of coccidiosis?

Zizi262

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2024
This is the first time and the only time I’ve seen a dropping like this. Does this mean they could be infected?
image.jpg

This is the first time and the only time I’ve seen a dropping like this. Does this mean they could be infected?
View attachment 3770844
I should also add they are about 4 weeks old and I’ve been feeding unmediated for 3 weeks, and medicated for 1 as I ran out of chick feed unfortunately. They have also been outside in their run which has pibe shavings and I’ve noticed them pecking at it. I have also given them chick grit in hopes of counteracting their shaving picking.

How are they acting? If they are all normal, then you could just watch, make sure it doesn't repeat or get worse. But if anyone looks off at all, even a little bit, I would treat for coccidiosis. That looks like intestinal shed rather than frank blood, but it is a runny, mucousy dropping. Corid is very safe and you won't hurt them to treat them. If it's coccidiosis then delaying treatment can be fatal. You can get Corid at many feed stores, tractor supply stores, etc. often in the cattle section. Images below. Either form works fine, many find the liquid to be more convenient. Dosing is 1 &1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid mixed in a gallon of drinking water, the medicated water needs to be the only water available during treatment. Treat for 5 - 7 days. Make it fresh daily.
2202129.jpg

1033284.jpg

Thanks for adding the link to the drench! The oral dose can be used in addition to the medicated water, if anyone is not drinking well on their own, then that helps get the medication in them.

Thanks for adding the link to the drench! The oral dose can be used in addition to the medicated water, if anyone is not drinking well on their own, then that helps get the medication in them.
Yes I highly recommend straight oral doses if things are dire. I just went thru a terrible round of coccidiosis in my older flocks due to the constant rain and muddy conditions and I lost several birds but did manage to save 4 of them by straight doses orally as well as their waterers and supplementing vitamin E with selenium. Coccidiosis is pretty significantly affecting them by the time you visibly see reactions in many cases, so swift treatment is really important. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom