is this a sign..???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Elly, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    My 19 -20 week old pullets have really upped their food intake where I notice it, no change in the amount of free range they get to possible be the reason. I also noticed one of the hens will squat...not sure if what she is doing is a squat...when I reach down to pat her she goes down close to the ground....is this a sign that eggs are coming ??!!!??[​IMG]:fl:/

2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Yup. Usually just a couple of weeks from that squat to the lay. You can also see if her comb and wattles are reddening up yet. But I find the squat is a great sign. Not to mention cute and making it easier to grab the cutie.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  3. sammy

sammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    mine was squatting too-towards when she layed the egg she almost flattened herself on the ground and raised her "shoulders" and all i did was walk nearby her and down she went [​IMG]

so far 2 days and 2 eggs

other hen still has a pink comb!

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Mine does the squat when I pet her too. She started laying a day after I noticed it the first time. Now she squats when I pet her on the day she doesn't lay, but not when its a day she already laid. Its a regular thing around here.

5. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Her wattles and comb have reddened up somewhat, but I'm not sure how red or big they get before they start to lay. I haven't noticed a lot of squating, just twice and I wasn't sure if that was what it was....I'm so looking forward for that first egg...If I could mount it like a deer head I would !!![​IMG]

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by