Is this a Sikie?

Gurb

Hatching
Jul 23, 2016

I have been told this is a Silkie, but I thought Silkies don´t have these types of feathers. Please can anyboy tell me if this is a Silkie and if not, what breed she is?

welcome-byc.gif

You're correct, in order to be a Silkie, the bird needs to have silkied feathers.

this looks like a silkie/bantam Cochin mix. Since the silkie feathers are recessive, mixing them with another breed gives regular feathers.

I did this same cross this year and have a bunch of little black birds that look pretty much like that, except my Silkies didn't have that much crest
hmm.png

:welcome

You're correct, in order to be a Silkie, the bird needs to have silkied feathers. 

this looks like a silkie/bantam Cochin mix. Since the silkie feathers are recessive, mixing them with another breed gives regular feathers. 

I did this same cross this year and have a bunch of little black birds that look pretty much like that, except my Silkies didn't have that much crest :/

You could call this a Sizzle (a project breed). A Sizzle is a bird that has all Silkie characteristics except for their shredded feathers. They can be frizzled or smooth (just like any other breed). They are Silkie mixes still, since they aren't an accepted breed. If you breed that bird back to a Silkie, she will probably produce offspring with shredded and regular feathers :)

Ah, this makes sense because we bought 2 other hens from the same farm and one is a silkie and the other is a Pekin.

Meet Lolly, Polly and Molly
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom