Is this a Silkie?

There are two types of silkie feathers. The poofy, fluffy type and the smooth feather type
Um.....no. True silkies have silkie feathering. Silkie mixes can be and usually are smooth but very soft.

Silkie mixes:
20201018_122926.jpg

I think it could be Sultan-mix or Silkie-mix, depending on what the other half of either mix was. Both have 5 toes, feathered feet, and crests on the heads. Sultans are white, Silkies can be white, and the white could have come from the other parent anyway.

I see the depression in the front of the comb, but that's not how the comb looks on a pure Sultan. If it is a Sultan-mix, then the other parent had a rose comb (maybe a Wyandotte?)

If it is a Silkie-mix, then the other parent must have normal feathers, because this chick has normal feathers.

Sultans are supposed to have beards, Silkies can be with or without, this chick has no beard.
Silkies are supposed to have black skin, and many Silkie crosses have dark combs and wattles, which this one does not.
So there's at least one point against either likely cross, but it's not impossible in either case.

Maybe it's a cross of poor-quality Sultan with poor-quality Silkie :lol:

Or maybe the parents are themselves mixed breeds, which would easily account for the chick having such a mix of traits.

The chick with a single comb in post 14 (3rd photo) is a Bresse chick for comparison. The chick we're trying to identify has a comb that looks like a rose comb except it sort-of splits in two near the front where it joins the beak. Since the crest feathers are just now coming in, I don't know how big the crest will be when it's mature.

Are you able to look at their previous listings? (The sold ones.) If you can see what other breeds they sell, that might help guess what this chick is a mix of. But it may never be possible to figure it out all the way.
The have no previous listings, but they have 100% rating. This is one of the few farms that sent eggs that actually hatched. I had seven chicks, but a cat and mongoose ate 5 of them.

Back
Top Bottom