HappyDaisy

Hatching
Apr 7, 2023
Is this an Ameraucana? How do you know?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1681250724645.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681250724645.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 35
Looks like it. Pick him up and look at the undersides of the feet. If there is yellow in that area, then it is not a pure Ameraucana but an Easter egger. If that area is white or pinkish white, then he is probably pure Ameraucana.
Thank you! Someone is looking to rehome him but I've already been tricked. I just bought my first chicks a couple weeks ago, and they were supposed to be Ameraucana but I'm pretty sure they're EE. Curious how you knew it was a he? I purposely left that out.

Thank you! Someone is looking to rehome him but I've already been tricked. I just bought my first chicks a couple weeks ago, and they were supposed to be Ameraucana but I'm pretty sure they're EE. Curious how you knew it was a he? I purposely left that out.
My laying black and lavender ameraucanas still have smaller/less red comb than him, so... And his cheek doesn't look like as fluff as my girls. He could be a hatchery quality ameraucana or EE.

When buying Ameraucana, folks who are breeders will tell you what variety it is. For example, they would say: "Black Ameraucana" or "Wheaton Ameraucana". If someone just says Ameraucana for sale, chances are they are EE.

Most Ameraucana enthusiast can provide info where they got their stock, what they are working towards to improve the breed and be able to tell you the Standard of Perfection. As a buyer, it is your job to ask questions. It isn't the sellers job to provide info without being asked. Ameraucana breeders are excited to talk about their birds.

Back
Top Bottom