1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a true Americauna Rooster ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MaineFlyersFan, Sep 17, 2013.

1. MaineFlyersFan

MaineFlyersFan New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    I was sold this Rooster as a true full blooded Americauna. I wanted to see if anyone one saw anything to suggest otherwise as I want to get some Americauna hens and start breeding them. Thanks for any help ![​IMG]

2. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

he looks just like a rooster I had once, but it was an easter egger. I'm not sure about what they look like but he is beautiful.

3. MaineFlyersFan

MaineFlyersFan New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    Thank you. He's also very friendly and gentle.

4. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

mine was very gentle and calm. All my EE were very laid back birds. I just got 17 more EE pullets. Hoping they are all friendly like my others were.

5. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    He is an EE. He has somewhat similar colorings of a silver Ameracauna, but the brown on the wings doesn't make him a pure Ameracauna.
    http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html
    These are the accepted pure bred colors for Ameracauna. He is a very pretty boy, none the less :)

2 people like this.
  6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Yup a pretty ee. My dad has a whole group of roosters that look like this.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Not sure it it's your mistake or the breeder's, but any time you see Ameraucana spelled "Americana" that's a sign of an EE as well. That spelling is often used to mislead customers while technically not telling a lie.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger. You can breed him to ee hens and have very nice backyard birds.

9. MaineFlyersFan

MaineFlyersFan New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    Thank you for the information. Would you recommend breeding him to pure bred Americauna's ?

10. MaineFlyersFan

MaineFlyersFan New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    Yes, that was my mistake. The breeder sold him to me as an Ameraucana I am/was just unsure of the spelling. I just checked with the breeder and he offered to sell some pullets to go with this rooster and said he is an Ameraucana. I'm guessing from the post above he is somewhat misinformed about it being a purebred like he claims though. Thank you for your input !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by