Is this a true Americauna Rooster ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MaineFlyersFan, Sep 17, 2013.

1. MaineFlyersFan

MaineFlyersFan Hatching

Aug 25, 2013
    Thank you for your reply. This is helpful information and I appreciate you taking the time to respond !

2. FaerieChicken

FaerieChicken Songster

Sep 26, 2013
    Central Coast California
    I was looking at the ABC website photos, and I noticed that my girls resemble crosses of the Wheaten, Brown Red and the Silver Ameraucanas. Pretty interesting when my girl seems to be to standard with the exception of the feathering colors.
    [​IMG]

So because she is most likely a mix between colors, she is not "True"? So this makes her an EE? Although she has all of the other traits for a "True", I mean I don't plan on showing or anything, but I don't think it is fair to call a possible "True" Ameraucana and EE just because of the fact that they were bred from different colored "True" Ameraucanas!

But then again, it is just acceptable coloring that is being looked at when showing, kind of like in dog shows, LOL!

3. FaerieChicken

FaerieChicken Songster

Sep 26, 2013
    Central Coast California

4. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    She isn't very close to any of the colors honestly. Don't get me wrong, she is very pretty but it's a lot more than just color that makes an Ameraucauna. They not only have to have perfect coloring that conforms to the 8 specified colors, they must also have a pea comb, muffs and a beard. Black slate legs and white foot bottoms and have to lay a blue egg. They also carry their tail a certain way. That's just aesthetics too. They also must breed true. Her color is close to the color of welsummers, and she has willow legs and a modified pea comb. The comb has to hug the face very tightly for it to be a peacomb. I think because of the time, money and hard work Ameraucauna breeders put into their birds, it's more than fair to call something that isn't pure, an EE. The SOP for Ameraucauna is extremely specific because there can't be any room for leinancy. I've had plenty of EEs and am breeding Ameraucaunas from good lines this year. The misconception between EEs and Ameraucaunas is pretty common, and hatcheries selling off EEs as "Americana or Ameracauna" (purposely spelled wrong so they can't technically get in any trouble) is a huge factor in it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: