Is this a Welsummer or a mutt?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TexChix2, Apr 18, 2011.

1. TexChix2

TexChix2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    I have a rooster (which I will need to get rid of, seeing as how they're not allowed in the city limits). I tend to get attached, and. though I have a standing offer from a neighbor who says he'll take any roosters off my hands, I'm loathe to take him up on it (knowing it means that animals immediate entry into the food chain). I'm hoping if "Atlas" has some touch of pedigree I might be able to find him a safe haven. When I got this chick, the woman said she thought maybe it was an Austrolorp/RIR blend? But as he has grown, he looks like some of the images I have seen of Welsummers. Are their Welsummers with black shanks, or is my boy a mutt?https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/50625_atlas_and_poopy_eggs_030-1.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

I'd say he is a mutt [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's a mutt.

And a quick, humane end is all most of us can ask for. There are worse ends for a rooster [​IMG]

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Oh no, Atlas is NOT a mutt...........well maybe sorta kinda halfway. But he deserves a real breed name, even if he is the only living specimen. (It will only make him more valuable) Atlas is a Mahogany Trinidad Cinnabar. [​IMG]

5. TexChix2

TexChix2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes, being ripped apart by nature red in tooth and claw, or dying a lingering an painful death are both far worse then being swung around by your neck. I guess I need to develop my Grampa's "Farm Sensibilities" if I'm to survive in this omnivore's world. . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by