Is this a wood duck?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by shellyh72, Jul 18, 2016.

1. shellyh72

shellyh72 New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    West Central Florida
    Hi there. New here, looking to see if anyone can ID these ducklings. We've raised Muscovy so I assumed these were Muscovy until someone said they might be wood ducks. I'm in west central Florida. I took my dogs out today and these two were in an overturned dog crate swimming in a puddle. I was able to keep the dogs away from them. I brought them in and put them in a rabbit cage with a light. I added a bowl of water and chicken food since it's all I have. I can get waterfowl food tomorrow if needed. I just want to make sure we don't kill them accidentally. Thank you in advance for any help identifying them!

[​IMG]

This is how I found them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Roy31

Roy31 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    pa
    There feet look different from a wood duck duckling. I'm not sure what they are

3. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My brother brought me a orphaned wood ducklings found about a month ago. At first I didn't know what breed duck it was and found out it was wood. They are more narrow between the eyes. And very, very tiny. Here's a pic (he had wry neck)...
    [​IMG]

4. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Yes woodducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by