Is this a yeast infection? Bites from other chickens? Hen's backside is looking bad.

AspenChicken

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2022
Hi,

My Lavender Orpington had a dirty butt so I gave her a bath and found some wounds and irritation. The skin in the middle looks irritated and kind of raw and there are two areas on either side, one that looks kind of scabbed up with some blood underneath and another that just looks like blood under the skin. I was thinking it is a yeast infection but am now wondering if the blood looking areas are from being bitten? Someone in another forum suggested it was damage from other chickens.

Also her comb sometimes looks purple the way it does in the photo but other times it is normal so I am not sure what that is about. IMG_4782.jpeg IMG_4787.jpeg IMG_4789.jpeg IMG_4786.jpeg

I sprayed Vetericyn plus on the area and am not sure what else to do. She is on the bottom of the pecking order and does get picked on, it breaks my heart to think these darker red areas are from being bitten. The bully hen has actually been separated on two different occasions but it hasn't had any effect in the pecking order so I'm not really sure what to do there.

I think maybe the irritation in the middle of her butt could be from it being dirty for too long, she's so fluffy that it didn't look so bad but when I went in to clean her it was worse than what I thought. Anyway I would really appreciate any help.

Looks similar to blood blisters to me. Probably from pecking.
Does she have mites or lice? Check really well, the best way is to go out at night and look around the vent at night with a light and rub along roosting bars with a white paper towel to see if you pick up bugs or little red spots.

I'd try applying NuStock cream to the broken skin to help heal it and hopefully deter some of the picking. Do observe to see if she's picking at herself too.

The comb color can vary at times on all birds. Changing color throughout the day before and after laying eggs, when weather changes from cool to warm, etc. Changing to purple could be an indication of reduced oxygen or something going on with the organs, could even be a bit of stress. I'm not sure what you can do about it.

Back
Top Bottom