Is this an ameraucana? And are these copper Marans and possible ameraucana male or female?

fiefs20

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
I bought these possible ameraucana off a breeder and I'm not so sure they are ameraucana. Also what do you think these guys are male or female?

Copper Marans thinking pullet

Possible ameraucana #1

Mixed copper Marans thinking cock

Ameraucana #2

Ameraucana #3

Ameraucana #4

Last edited:
I bought these possible ameraucana off a breeder and I'm not so sure they are ameraucana. Also what do you think these guys are male or female?

Copper Marans thinking pullet

Possible ameraucana #1
<<<<<<<<<Not Ameraucana..They aren't a crested breed. If it lays blue eggs/carries a blue egg gene it's an Easter Egger.With that straight comb the blue egg gene might not show up. not sure on sex.

Mixed copper Marans thinking cock

Ameraucana #2
<<<<<<Not an Ameraucana. Probably an Easter Egger if it carries the blue egg gene. Ameraucanas aren't crested. No idea on sex. Wait another 4 weeks.

Ameraucana #3
<<<Not an Ameraucana, No EE traits. Probably a Red Sex Link. Maybe pullet? It could be an EE if it carries the blue egg gene but the straight comb makes it look like it might not.

Ameraucana #4
<<If feathered legs then not Ameraucana. Don't see beard/muff either. I't could be an EE if it lays blue eggs/carries the blue Egg gene. Not sure on sex. give it another 4 weeks or so.
See my comments in red above. I really hope you didn't buy these from a professional breeder becuase if you did he gave you all culls as far as the Ameraucanas go since they are pretty much all Easter Eggers (EE's). The red and white one with yellow legs I really doubt it's even an Easter Egger, it doesn't carry any Ameraucana traits whatsoever. I'm not sure on the Marans as I don't have experience with that breed. So, I'm really sorry about your chickens. Hope he didn't charge you too much for those birds. If he is a professional breeder he needs to make things right and give you what you payed for.

Last edited:
Where are you located? Are you in the US?

I think I remember that the Australian/European standard has crests for Ameraucanas...but NO leg feathers...and you should have beards and muffs...if you are in the US...NONE of these birds are Ameraucanas...at best they are Easter Eggers (the green legged ones).

The first looks to be a BCM, and yes looks to be pullet.

The red one, #3, looks to be a Red Sexlink pullet.

The brownish one with eyeliner is a rooster...but doesn't look to be a mix of a Marans to me...wrong leg color...no feathering...but hey, a mix is a mix so I guess they can claim it is a mix with anything but I'm not seeing Marans.

Other than the BCM #1, they look to be mutts or hybrids.

Lady of McCamley

Thanks for all the replies. I won't be going to that breeder again. You all replied with my exact suspicions. I knew the ameraucanas here in the US didn't have crests on them. They came from blue eggs but I'm now almost 100% sure the ones he sold me as ameraucanas are all Easter Eggers. They all seem to be mutts but I can't figure out what type of bird they are. :/

Even if they aren't purebreds they still are really cute. The white and buff with crests are sweet little things.My kids loved them when I showed them the pictures! Give them another 4 weeks or so and you'll have a better idea of what they are.
smile.png

Even if they aren't purebreds they still are really cute. The white and buff with crests  are sweet little things.My kids loved them when I showed them the pictures! Give them another 4 weeks or so and you'll have a better idea of what they are. :)

Thanks! They are sweet little guys/girls. My girls completely love them. Hopefully most of them are at least pullets.

Back
Top Bottom