Is this an Australorp pullet? *update*

My JG pullet came from a hatchery. She has the beetle-green sheen to her feathers, and the soles of her feet are yellow. That was actually how I identified her. But I hear hatchery birds don't always have the yellow soles that JGs are known for.

This is a Austrolorp hen from Privett. Maybe your is just a little thin, but my girls are real tanks. They were hatched out last May.
Orpingtons124.jpg

Orpingtons123.jpg

Country - Thank you for the pictures. That's a pretty chicken! Is the white one a Cochin?

After looking at Country's pictures, I am certain that it is an Australorp. And the soles of its feet are not yellow. BUT... I'm starting to think it is a rooster. The neck feathers go much farther down on its neck than the one in Country's picture. And for its age/size I really think it would be laying by now.

It is much happier since I brought it home. It still eats and drinks more than the other chickens in the pen. Still looks so malnutritioned, though. The way its body looks reminds me of a Runner duck, tall and thin. In a month or two I will post a new picture so we can compare. Thank you to everyone for your help.
smile.png

There's a somewhat decent picture of it on the second page of this thread. It was taken the day after I brought it home.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, it is a white Cochin that lays green eggs.
lol.png
I do agree with you about the sex. He does look rooish.

A white Cochin that lays green eggs, how neat! Does it look like a pure bred Cochin? I show my birds, I would hate to get disqualified because one laid the wrong color egg at the show.
lol.png
Thanks for the insight on my newest rescue bird.
smile.png

Skeeter I fixed it. Try again
big_smile.png

Countryroad, yes, she does look purebred. I dont know much about them as far a ancestory. My friends father died and they were his. So I ended up with them. We call them the mama chickens, they are just so sweet.

Back
Top Bottom