Is this an Australorp Rooster?

chickmamma77

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Ohio
Well 'she' cock a doo's in the morning, but when I got her I was told she was a hen. The two other femals have combs too but don't make any noise. She is about a month older than the others so I had the thought she just might be a momma bird to the others?
Thanks!

I think I'm seeing rooster, but could you get a better picture of its profile in natural light (no red lamp on).

Thanks
smile.png

BTW - she would have to be at least 7 months older than the others to be their mother.

From the beginning she was acting broody huddling the other smaller chicks under her. I knew she literally wasn't their mom, but was always acting protective. I thought it was cute:)

That is very cute :) Its still hard to tell from the pictures. Do any of her feathers look different than your hens? Roosters have pointy feathers right before their tail that hang downward (saddle feathers) and on their neck (hackle feathers). They also have significantly larger combs and wattles. If she looks exactly like your others, she probably is a hen. Some hens have been known to crow, though I haven't seen it personally :)

Back
Top Bottom