is this an impacted crop?

LittleMoss

Chirping
Jan 27, 2017
We have three seven week old chicks at the moment. We think two are pullets and one is a rooster. The one we think is a rooster seems to have had some trouble walking over the last week or two - almost as if it's too heavy for its legs. This morning my son said he thought it had an impacted crop - there's a small swelling under its beak. I've tried to feel it, which the chick doesn't seem to like. It doesn't feel too hard. For the moment, we've separated it from the others, but it can still see them. It has some water, but no food. I'm attaching some photos - can anybody tell me if it looks like an impacted crop? Thank you very much.

Last edited:
That is not the crop, the crop is low on the neck/chest, slightly right of center. Picture below:
black-and-red-crop1.jpg

That is the wattle area, I'm guessing more likely a bacterial infection or maybe a respiratory virus. Any other symptoms?
Can you look inside the beak/mouth and see if it looks normal.
I found this old post, answered by an avian vet, am attaching just for info, may not be exactly what you have, but the info was pretty broad. http://www.justanswer.com/bird-vet/74ta1-hi-my-chickens-wattle-veret-swollen-red.html
Hopefully someone else will have more ideas.

Thank you, there don't seem to be any other symptoms. The chick is still separate from the others at the moment. I guess I can give it some food if its crop is fine then! We are very new to all this!

Back
Top Bottom