How long can an impacted crop chicken live?

Chickenoreo

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2023
My chickens going two weeks with an impacted crop. I’m feeding her yogurt, water with olive oil and massaging her crop hoping she’ll poop whatever she has stuck in her crop. I called some vets and asked about prices and it’s out of my budget right now, which I feel bad about it. She still walks, preens herself, but she’s sleepy a lot. Her poops today have been water with some small pieces of green poop.

What is your general location? How old is your hen and does she still lay eggs? Do you provide granite poultry grit to help her gizzard grind up foods. What do feed? Do you have a picture of her? Is her crop full and hard even in the early morning before she eats and drinks? Have you tried offering her some solid chilled coconut oil, cut into small pieces that she can peck and eat? Massage in a downward motion. I would also treat her for worms if you can since that and reproductive disorders may sometimes cause crop blockages.

Question in title: How long can an impacted crop chicken live?
Answer: Probably until it starves to death.

That is a different amount of time depending on whether some food is getting digested, or whether no food at all is getting digested. Whether the chicken was overweight in the first place will also make a difference, because a fat chicken can lose more weight before it starts having major problems.

(I see that other people are already trying to help with getting the impaction resolved, which is an issue I don't know much about.)

What is your general location? How old is your hen and does she still lay eggs? Do you provide granite poultry grit to help her gizzard grind up foods. What do feed? Do you have a picture of her? Is her crop full and hard even in the early morning before she eats and drinks? Have you tried offering her some solid chilled coconut oil, cut into small pieces that she can peck and eat? Massage in a downward motion. I would also treat her for worms if you can since that and reproductive disorders may sometimes cause crop blockages.
I’m in Oregon. She was laying eggs up and stopped the day before she got sick. She’s two and turns 3 around April. Her regular food is Purina Layena crumbles but she stopped eating it. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t have worms. In the mornings her crop gets small but I can feel that object in the picture and tiny pieces of rocks that she has pooped some of them at night.

IMG_8600.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom