Is this an Olive Egger?

I think I incorrectly assumed one could tell by physical traits . . .

You can sometimes tell if you can recognize the breeds the OE is made of. Mine are Cream Legbar x Welsummer so it's pretty easy to identify them vs. Easter Eggers with pea combs and muffs/beards. The other common cross for OE is Ameraucana x Black Copper Maran, so they would also be recognizable.

So we have 2 EE pullets and 1 lays a light blue egg and the other lays a blue egg but it's always looked more of a green. I'd say hers is a lighter shade of the OP's olive egger. Could Eggers (actual name of my girl) be an olive egger too? I didn't think you could tell by physical traits of the hens, just the egg color. Am I assuming wrong? Thanks!
I had to read this a couple of times because you’ve chosen to make life more difficult than it already is and named your Easter egger “eggers” :lau😐

Olive Eggers are blue crossed with dark brown, Easter eggers are blue crossed with light brown. I haven't actually seen an IRL distinction between "easter egg" colors and "mint egg" colors, personally, but I'm hoping to test that out with chicks in my brooder currently. Per the chart below, I should have both colors by April/May.

View attachment 2496054
Thanks so much for the chart, and I’m looking forward to seeing some pics of your eggs this spring 😊

Thanks so much for the chart, and I’m looking forward to seeing some pics of your eggs this spring 😊

Here is a thread for my littles that would be called "dull spearmint" layers on the 3rd row of the chart. Olive Egger F1 x Blue Egg Rooster:
can-you-accurately-sex-day-old-olive-egger-chicks-legbar-welsummer

Here are the "Easter Eggers" from the first row of the chart (Blue Layer= Cream Legbar Rooster x Tan Layer = Dominique hen). They actually hatched from pink eggs vs. tan, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what color they lay:
need-someone-who-can-read-barred-head-spots-like-tea-leaves-cream-legbar-x-dominque-chicks

Okay. But I have one question, is “empirically” a nice way of saying “obviously”?!? 🤔 :gig

Empirically means showing something by means of observing results, as opposed to knowing in theory.

In theory, a chicken is an olive egger if you know that it had a blue-layer parent and a dark brown layer parent.

Empirically, a chicken is an olive egger if it lays olive eggs regardless of what it's parents might or might not have been. :)

Back
Top Bottom