Is This An Ugly Appenzeller Spitzhauben Chick.....

Patchesnposies

Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern New Mexico
......Or does Mama Spitzhauben have some 'splainin' to do????

I had two incubators full of eggs most were Spitzhauben's, about 10 were Brabanters.

My two year old "helped the chippies catch" by tweaking the temps on my incubators-unbeknownst to his Papa, who was (er, not) watching him at the time.

So the one bator got up to 129 degrees overnight and fried those babies. Cried big salty tears and said a prayer for the other bator that only went up to 104 overnight.

I actually got 10 babies out of the eggs in that one. Five made it to the end and died trying to hatch.

Of those that hatched, all seem very healthy and lively. They look like this one:
7036_spitzhauben_babies_023.jpg

But, there was one little one that looked really different from the very first. It looks like this:
7036_spitzhauben_babies_019.jpg

In comparison to all of the others, he is lanky, scrawny and not very fluffy at all.

He isn't sickly, he eats, drinks, poops and investigates everything just like his hatch mates.

Do you think this could be a mis-marked Brabanter egg? Or a mixed Spitzhauben chick?

Anyone have any thoughts?

ETA: I put all of the eggs that were marked Brabanter in the incubator that got too hot.

Last edited:
Awww! I think he's adorable! The ugly duckling! The coloring looks to be the same as the other one; just looks like the downy feathers didn't develop as much as they should have.

Because he stands/holds himself in such a way that he resembles one of my purebred Araucana chicks. He stood like that when he was newly hatched. Feisty little guy.

Do Appenzeller Spitzhaubens usually have tails? Perhaps it is a Appenzeller Spitzhauben and Araucana cross. I thought Araucanas were the only rumpless chickens?

ETA... if it's not a cross, then you have something rare there.
smile.png
You might have to keep him/her and try breeding to see if that gets reproduced in the offspring!

EATA: Found another breed that can be rumpless: Belgian D'Anver, or Antwerp Belgian, Barbu d'Anvers --- Developed in Anver region of Belgium many decades ago. Rumpless versions are called De Grubbe. Breed is often referred to simply as the Quail bantam, after the most popular variety.

Keep an eye on its comb. Araucanas have Pea combs. The Appenzeller Spitzhaubens have V-combs, and the Belgian D'Anvers have Rose combs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom