Is this an upper respiratory infection? What should I do?

It's bee
It's been 9 days since the last injections (??). Now what do you think?
I'd give them the Tylan again. But, if you don't see improvement by the third day, the disease has either grown resistant to the antibiotic, or your birds have a viral disease.

Since you mention that your chickens had a "smell" that kind of says coryza to me. Coryza is best treated with Albon or Di-Methos which are brand names for sulfadimethoxine a sulfa drug. Many people consider culling for coryza, since it may never be cured completely, and always will be in the flock.

Since you mention that your chickens had a "smell" that kind of says coryza to me.  Coryza is best treated with Albon or Di-Methos which are brand names for sulfadimethoxine a sulfa drug.  Many people consider culling for coryza, since it may never be cured completely, and always will be in the flock.  

When you say that it is never completely cured, do you mean that the symptoms don't go away? Do they become healthy, egg laying chickens again and just become carriers of it? Or are they always sick? Men are acting like they are feeling better but still have runny noses. No smell. Eating and drinking well, not laying. BTW, how does one cull?

Culling is selective removal from the flock, in this case, killing. In case of not wishing to cull, your flock should become "all in and all out," meaning you can't add birds unless they have been vaccinated because they will get it from the carriers. Some of the chickens can get better, some may get it again and again, but they will all carry it. Tylan can work on coryza, but if it isn't working I would switch to Albon or Di-Methox. Here is an link to read: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza

Culling is selective removal from the flock, in this case, killing. In case of not wishing to cull, your flock should become "all in and all out," meaning you can't add birds unless they have been vaccinated because they will get it from the carriers. Some of the chickens can get better, some may get it again and again, but they will all carry it. Tylan can work on coryza, but if it isn't working I would switch to Albon or Di-Methox. Here is an link to read: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza
Are those drugs that I can find at Tractor Supply or the local Co-Op? Injectable is the preferred form because I know they would be getting the correct dosage. I was looking online but all I could find was mail order stuff. I just don't want to give up on these birds. They have bonded with me and I with them. Silly as it sounds. They are also not laying. They have been free ranging at the same time they became sick so I was unsure which caused the sudden decrease in egg production. Was it the illness or the fact that they haven't been eating the layer feed or both? When I asked how does one cull a chicken, I meant HOW does one actually do it? Shoot them, euthanize by a vet?

Last edited:
Tractor Supply would not carry the Albon or Di-Methox unless they are better stocked than mine. Mail order online may be the only way to get it. Just give the Tylan for a little longer if you still are seeing illness. People kill chickens by different methods--tie their feet together and put on a nail on a tree where you can slice the jugular vein with a sharp knife, then they die quickly by bleeding out. Some prefer to chop the neck with an a hatchet. Oldtimes used to ring the neck, but you need to know what you are doing. Do you not have a hunter in the family or neighborhood that could perform this for you if you need to? If you get on YouTube, look for a video called "Survival skills with Russ--How to butcher a chicken." In it he shows the first method I listed in a very well-done method before he butchers a chicken.

Another option would be to call your State vet or the one in Maryland and ask them about having one of your chickens tested or necropsied. Then you would know how best to proceed.

-Kathy

Many times when you want a chicken necropsied, the state vet will euthanize the chicken at no extra cost, but you would need to deliver the chicken there. Just call them and ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom