Is this an upper respiratory infection? What should I do?

I think I've decided I'm not ready to give up yet...
1f622.png

How are they doing? You can always choose to treat them and watch for a few months. If you have a death you can get the chicken necropsied, and then you should find out for sure what you have. Many of these diseases run in twos, sometimes a chicken can have mycoplasma and coryza, or infectious bronchitis and MG. Lots of people choose to treat these diseases with drugs. The only thing is that you can infect neighboring farms with your sick chickens. This is why commercial poultry farms hate people who raise backyard flocks because they feel it spreads disease, since many of us don't like to kill our chickens, but to treat with antibiotics.

I was outside with them all day today. They all seemed very happy and full of energy. They have begun to squat for me again and I got a third egg today as opposed to the one or two that I have been getting for the past couple weeks. They are still very vocal and responsive. I have been very generous with the treats; watermelon, tomatoes, vitamins/electrolytes in the h20, yogurt. Their nares are still a bit gunky but no odor. I don't have any neighbors that have chickens so I'm safe there. I wouldn't want to get anyone else's flock sick. I guess it's still a mystery what they have, I have really been leaning towards the Coryza. I'm certainly no expert, I'm a novice. This is my first go round. I'm trying my very best.

Not too much to say about Chewbacca. Her beak is still runny. Her eyes don't seem to be as bad-- I've been applying a prescription we had to her eyes that's stronger than neosporin. She seems to be a little more peppy, but I don't want to risk adding her back to the flock yet. She's eating and upsetting her water dish, just like a good chicken should do, lol. I keep trying to figure out if it's coryza, but every time I open up her eye, I can't tell. :(

Back
Top Bottom