Is This Angel Wing???

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Hi, fellow duck parents! I'm brand spanking new to duckies, and I have another question.

Here is Clementine. She is 4 weeks old. A couple days ago, I noticed one wing tip sticks out at a funny angle. Being white and sticking out like that, her sisters like to nip at it. Is this angel wing?? Sorry for the blurry pics.

20210309_182354.jpg

20210309_182156.jpg

If this is angel wing: I watched the videos on the "Treating Angel Wing" sticky. Will a sock work? Do I just use the sock or vet wrap to "pin" her wing tip to her body?

Also, should I adjust her feed? The other three are fine. I am feeding Purina Flock Raiser crumbles, but I can switch if the protein level is contributing.

Thanks!

I have one duck with angel wing, I'm not quite sure what it looks like at first because I didn't get her until she was full grown, but I just took some pictures of what her angel wing looks like with her flight feathers clipped, hope it helps.

Attachments

• 20210309_221539.jpg
    20210309_221539.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210309_221526.jpg
    20210309_221526.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 30
Oh, that's not too bad. I did a google search, and some of those birds looked downright deformed and impeded.

I bound her up with a sock and some duct tape because I'm all out of vet wrap. THAT was an adventure. I don't even know that I got her wing pinned the right way. I'm going to get some more vet wrap tomorrow and redo it.

Of course it had to be Clementine. She's the feistiest one. She screamed her little head off the entire time.
16153469014031532573348219441199.jpg

Oh, that's not too bad. I did a google search, and some of those birds looked downright deformed and impeded.

I bound her up with a sock and some duct tape because I'm all out of vet wrap. THAT was an adventure. I don't even know that I got her wing pinned the right way. I'm going to get some more vet wrap tomorrow and redo it.

Of course it had to be Clementine. She's the feistiest one. She screamed her little head off the entire time.
View attachment 2563358
That is absolutely adorable! I LOVE the sock, its so cute! I can't contribute to wether or not it may be angle wing, but I to would definitely be suspicious. @Isaac 0 @KaleIAm and @Miss Lydia will be able to offer more insight. @fatty and friends may also be able to give advice. Hopefully she heals up well if it is anything concerning. Good luck!

That is absolutely adorable! I LOVE the sock, its so cute! I can't contribute to wether or not it may be angle wing, but I to would definitely be suspicious. @Isaac 0 @KaleIAm and @Miss Lydia will be able to offer more insight. @fatty and friends may also be able to give advice. Hopefully she heals up well if it is anything concerning. Good luck!
I DEFINITELY need to redo it. I watched the video again, and I can see where I went wrong. I figure keeping her wing against her body will at least it from getting worse tonight.

Looking forward to wrestling with her again tomorrow night. Ooooooo.... no swimminsss, either! They're not going to be happy with me! Not even peas can save me now!

Thanks for the tag, @Weeg. Angel wing is something I managed to not have any experience with! Whew.

@Aunt Angus the babies are so adorable! I hope her wing situation is resolved soon!

Unfortunately, being the duck is black, it allows very little visualization of the angulation of the feathers. If you could post a few more, in better lighting, from different angles we might be able to see them better.

With AW, the carpal joints twist in a direction the feathers stick directly outwards.
Unfortunately, 2 things are preventing me from getting better pics: my turrible photo skills and Clementine's disinclination to stop wiggling.

However, I am pretty certain that it is AW. The white part in those pics above sticks out exactly as I've seen it described - like a hitchhiker's thumb. I can see her pin feathers sticking straight out from her body, and when I manipulate her wing, I can see how it is supposed to lay.

But I will try. And then I'm gonna rewrap it in bright pink vet wrap.

Back
Top Bottom