Is this bad to feed my hens??

I gave a tablespoon full of very cooked, very lean pork to my 7hens the other day. The "boss of all snacks" ate half herself and has had diarrhea and "sitting all puffed up" for days since. Neither she nor the second in snack-succession has laid a proper egg since, so, "no" is my vote.

I have had poopy butts to clean and lots of apologies to make since.

I gave a tablespoon full of very cooked, very lean pork to my 7hens the other day. The "boss of all snacks" ate half herself and has had diarrhea and "sitting all puffed up" for days since. Neither she nor the second in snack-succession has laid a proper egg since, so, "no" is my vote.

While I am sorry that this is happening, I would recommend looking for other potential causes as a teaspoon and a half of lean, cooked pork should not cause that.

That's very peculiar.

Chickens are naturally omnivores that eat anything which doesn't eat them first. A little bit of lean meat ought not to cause any issues.

I frequently give my flock the bones from a not-at-all lean pork shoulder without any ill effect.

I'm sure it would take some experimenting or a deep web search for the right amount, but I would like to try to celery powder or something instead of sodium nitrate. Just my thought on the recipe.
any source if nitrates - but prague powder is 99% table salt, 1% sodium nitrate.

I HATE CELERY.
But yes, enough celery - say by runing a bunch through your macerating juicer and using the extracted liquid? Should work if the SHTF. Until then? I'll stick with my Prague powder #1

You don't need to use any sodium nitrate unless you intend to smoke them.
anytime I make sausage, I use some, since I frequently air cure - its a bit of insurance against bots. Same with corning beef. But yes, its optional if you trust your sources and the clenliness of your kitchen. An RV surrounded by chickens and goats, next to my pasture??? Not so much.

Back
Top Bottom