Is this barred rock bantam show quality?

Looks Good to me
thumbsup.gif

Never know for sure until you show, but i dont see any flaws, though i dont know the breed too too well
wink.png

This is just my opinion, but I don't like either one. If I were you, I would just go straight to Dick Horstman and get some from him directly. Neither bird has good 'rock' type.

David

I have 3 Barred Rock Bantams and they are, like yours, stunning. I have a bunch of pictures at Amanda4414, if you could please subscribe and reply because I am really looking to expand my knowledge on the birds. Here are some pictures:

This is just my opinion, but I don't like either one. If I were you, I would just go straight to Dick Horstman and get some from him directly. Neither bird has good 'rock' type.

David

Interesting that you see something that an APA Judge & the Secretary of the Plymouth Rock Club aren't seeing?

Hi
Not sure if your USA SOP is much different than ours in the UK except for colour.
This is a picture of a cockerel I found, which in my mind is the correct type.
Nice colour and barring, good long legs and overall length (short), the pullet picture which started this thread looks very long, not a minature of the large rocks we know. The cockerels wing is poor but overall a stunner! I will try to get photos of winners from this our National show this yea,r they were especially lovely. I am starting a Barred Rock website very soon so I'll been in touch.

Hi
Not sure if your USA SOP is much different than ours in the UK except for colour.
This is a picture of a cockerel I found, which in my mind is the correct type.
Nice colour and barring, good long legs and overall length (short), the pullet picture which started this thread looks very long, not a minature of the large rocks we know. The cockerels wing is poor but overall a stunner! I will try to get photos of winners from this our National show this yea,r they were especially lovely. I am starting a Barred Rock website very soon so I'll been in touch.
By rights your Standard should be the same as ours since it is a U.S. breed but with that being said the Barred Plymouth Rock you posted looks to be very leggy and looks to have a pinched tail.
Maybe Bill (NYREDS) or Bob will will give there option on the bird also.

Chris

By rights your Standard should be the same as ours since it is a U.S. breed but with that being said the Barred Plymouth Rock you posted looks to be very leggy and looks to have a pinched tail.
Maybe Bill (NYREDS) or Bob will will give there option on the bird also.

Chris

Just as we have developed a standard for the Orpington that differs from the British Standard our British cousins have developed standards for American Breeds that differ from our own. The bird pictured above is very similar to the on illustrating the British Standard. He's leggy, short bodied & pinched in the tail. The tail is much shorter than what we look for as well. I'm sure he's a show winner in the UK but he wouldn't do well here. At the same time a good American Orpington wouldn't do well in a British show.

Just as we have developed a standard for the Orpington that differs from the British Standard our British cousins have developed standards for American Breeds that differ from our own. The bird pictured above is very similar to the on illustrating the British Standard. He's leggy, short bodied & pinched in the tail. The tail is much shorter than what we look for as well. I'm sure he's a show winner in the UK but he wouldn't do well here. At the same time a good American Orpington wouldn't do well in a British show.
Very True.

Chris

Hi
I am in total agreement with you both but it's ashame our standard is different but that said, bantams should be minatures of the large fowl breed whichever country's standard they belong too.
Barring, leg colour, type and size etc. still should be equal in both large and bantam poultry, so if you are struggling to picture how a bantam should look, look no further than it's LF equivalent.
Fancy Fowl Magazine in the November edition here in the UK has a six page article from our top breeder of Plymouth rocks which you would find very interesting regarding the struggle we have here with type size etc.

These two won the LF Shows in 2010 ans 2011 although Large fowl our bantams should resemble them here in the UK. The birds pictured belong to Tom Newbould.
I will try and get some bantam pictures. Britrock

Back
Top Bottom