Is this behavior seen ONLY in males?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sarahandbray, Sep 26, 2014.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    My chicks are 5.5 weeks old (straight-run) and we're not 100% sure on boys vs. girls yet. This is our first time having chickens and this board has been a HUGE help so far.
    On some of the questionable ones, can I assume they're boys at this point if they square up against another boy chick, fluff out their neck feathers, stare them down and start chest-bumping? Or is this not necessarily indicative of a boy?

I would HATE to give away any of my hens by accident...especially since I paid more for the Black Copper Marans, Lavender Orpingtons, etc. and have worked so hard at keeping them happy and healthy in the past 5 weeks!!

Sarah

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Behavior at this point is not really a reliable indication of gender, no. I would not re-home anyone at this point that I was not 100% certain was a cockerel (massive red comb/wattle development). There is nothing to lose by keeping them to the point where you are certain (crowing, development of sex feathers, etc) - and everything to lose by re-homing one too soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by