Is this big enough?

One last comment...keep in mind that these companies are advertising, so they are going to make thier product sound fabulous (and look fabulous) in the ads. IMO they are not concerned with how many chickens end up getting crammed in there. None of the ones I've looked at will hold as many chickens as they advertise. I did look at your last posted link. It does look bigger, but they've added the nexting box into the measurement (did you notice that?). Deduct 12 inches from that measurement, because that is not "living space." It ended up being about 15.75 sq. feet.

Make sure you multiply the length x the width for any coop you are considering (take out about 12" for the nesting box if they are including it in the measurement), and it will give you your sq. feet per hen. For standard breeds, they need a minimum of about 4 sq. feet per bird. Good luck!

no i didnt notice that, thank you! I love the little heart shaped window but realistically, i could probably make one of them myself in a cheaper and bigger model, huh. The 105 model may be my best bet, and it will look alot better once painted. Ill keep looking
smile.png

ok im no good at measurements, could someone tell me the minimum space required in cm?

I have yet to see a manufactured coop with sufficient ventilation. One little window just isn't going to do the job.

Quote:
The minimum housing for one chicken is a square 61 cm on a side. That is the absolute minimum; more is better. The minimum run space for one chicken is a square 96 cm on a side. And again, more is better.

Square measurements are 3716.12 cm^2 for housing and 9290.3 cm^2 for the run per chicken. You get these values by multiplying the width and length of the floor or internal dimensions. If you have an office package on your computer the spreadsheet does these calculations quite neatly; if not, Open Office.org works quite well if you do not need to read files generated by Microsoft applications and does a credible job on them if they are not overly involved.

RSD

Wow, those houses look great! I took one look and fell madly in love! Have I mentioned that I love chicken houses?

Quote:
They look beautiful!
love.gif

I have to agree that you need at least 4sq. feet indoors per standard sized dual purpose hen (sussex) and 10 sq. feet of run for each outdoors. I also recommend covering at least half the run in case of bad weather they can still get out and stretch and it isn't too muddy. That still leaves room for rain to wet the other half if they like it. I say get the biggest and best you can afford as you will save time spent on chores, chickens will be happier and you may want more chickens and won't have to immediately buy another coop!
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

One other thing--be sure they are not actually made in China. China has been flooding the Net with coops that are lower quality but look good on line.
frow.gif

Good luck!!

i like the first coop i think with the run attatched - one end is half covered so they have somewhere dry for the food etc. I think its big enough - plus they're gonna be free roaming when im at home to supervise.The run is 6 feet by 4 feet. i want to paint it egg shell blue and baby pink aswell
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom