Is this Buff Orp a rooster? (pic heavy)

ronikins

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2010
SW Missouri (Ozarks)
I'm not real sure if he's a he... We originally ordered 25 pullets and 2 cockerels (all Buff Orpingtons). They "lost" the cockerels and one of the pullets died. So we thought we were down to 24 pullets. I picked up a Rhode Island Red rooster at the farmers market a few weeks ago thinking he would be the only rooster. Now I'm having my doubts...

My orginal BO flock is 51 - 54 days old. The RIR is a little older than 2 months. I have a few of the BOs that look like they MIGHT be roosters. Especially this one. I'm calling him Rusty for now. He struts around and makes different sounds from the females. He's always the first one to the door. He's pretty protective of the others (except the RIR). I know these are not concrete evidence that he's a rooster. I don't quite know how to look for the saddle feathers yet. Oh and his comb and wattles are much redder than MOST the others. There is at least one other that has a comb and wattles like his, and that one is the one that I think might be another rooster......

Here is Rusty....

54650_rusty7.jpg

54650_rusty6.jpg

54650_rusty5.jpg

54650_rusty8.jpg

(Best I could do as far as a looking-down shot)

And here is one that I know is a pullet (for comparison/taken at the same time)
54650_pullet.jpg

I have other pictures of all the chickens if they are needed for further reference. And all of these are in HIGH resolution if needed also.

Thanks for any help!!

yep

That big red comb at that age is a pretty good indication of a roo. And pullet orders arent always 100% pullets, so yeah, you go a nice little BO roo there so you can have some pure BOs breeing him to the BO hens, breeding the RIR roo to them will give you NHR looking birds.

i have a ?...i have 2 chicks that are 3 days old....i'm thinking they are BO...did any of your chicks toes have some slight coloring on them? not the whole leg just the toes...yellow head and mostly white body...i have pics under the what breed thread..i'm just trying to figure out what i got..thanks

Quote:
NHR?

Thanks guys!

I actually was 99.9% sure he was a rooster so I promised the RIR to a friend that needs one. I just wanted a secone..third....etc, opinion on it before I took him down there. The RIR is very standoffish. I really wanted a gentle, easy to handle rooster. I knew I would get that with a BO. And Rusty is an awesome little chicken. He comes right to me and I pick him up and he's ok with it!

Thanks again!

Quote:
I'll have to go find your thread. Not sure though...

Here's a pic of mine the first week. There are more on my page.

54650_chickie.jpg

Hope that helps you some.

Also, what's up with the little fuzzy feathers on his head. He's just about the only one with those. Are those going to be some kind of rooster feathers? Or are they just leftover baby feathers?

Quote:
NHR?

Thanks guys!

I actually was 99.9% sure he was a rooster so I promised the RIR to a friend that needs one. I just wanted a secone..third....etc, opinion on it before I took him down there. The RIR is very standoffish. I really wanted a gentle, easy to handle rooster. I knew I would get that with a BO. And Rusty is an awesome little chicken. He comes right to me and I pick him up and he's ok with it!

Thanks again!

Your welcome and I hope he turns out to be a good roo for you and the ladies.

And NHRs are New Hamshire Reds. They're lighter than RIRs and darker that BOs, that is similar to the color that you would get from crossing the too, but if you are getting rid of the RIR roo then it doesnt matter

good luck

Quote:
Yep, thats just the last of his baby down coming out, you can pluck it out if you want, its just hanging there. Will Orps, the hens usually feather out faster and lose their down first so he is just a little slower getting in his feathers and losing his baby down.

Back
Top Bottom