Is this Buff Orpington a Rooster?

Aussiedrew

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
I bought a 10 week old Buff Orpington 'Hen' early January and the last 3-4 weeks she's been molting and has started making some interesting noises. So interesting she sounds a bit like a young rooster finding its voice.
hmm.png

I have had a few hens in the past but are only really a beginner when it comes to looking after chickens.

What are the signs of a young chicken turning into a rooster?

The bird is quite large, starting to get a raised tail and has extra red wattles on the side of its face compared to other chickens I have had in the past. I have posted some photos below, I can take some full body shots if it will be more helpful.

It is a beautiful bird so will be annoyed if it turns into a rooster.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks, Andrew.

Usually by six to eight weeks a rooster will develop a nice red comb and large wattles. Then between 8 weeks to four months (sometimes earlier and sometimes later), they try to crow. At 8 plus weeks, a roo will start developing his pointy saddle feathers. I usually find that at four months, they have their sickle feathers. When getting a juvenile bird, roosters will have wattles and a comb much larger and redder than the hens. Hens wont turn red in the face until they're about it lay. The males will also have pointy saddle feathers and long sickle feathers.

That is, undoubtedly, 100%, a rooster. Hackles galore. The comb doesn't even matter at this point, those hackles are undeniable. Those long, thin, "fancy" feathers that drape like hair off of his head, down his neck - hackles -..a hen wouldn't have those at all. He's a handsome dude.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I contacted the breeder I got him from and swapped him for a Hen. We aren't allowed to keep roosters where I live otherwise I would have kept him and used him for breeding.
Appreciated your help, thanks.

The breeder agreed to swap him with a hen but I could tell he didn't really want to. When I turned up and he saw the rooster he was wrapped. My rooster was much bigger than the ones he had and had better plumage etc. i think the reason he was bigger was I only have 3 chickens so they get lots if attention and plenty of food to go around. The breeder has 50-100 chickens so the chickens have to work a lot more to get there fill for the day.

The breeder agreed to swap him with a hen but I could tell he didn't really want to. When I turned up and he saw the rooster he was wrapped. My rooster was much bigger than the ones he had and had better plumage etc. i think the reason he was bigger was I only have 3 chickens so they get lots if attention and plenty of food to go around. The breeder has 50-100 chickens so the chickens have to work a lot more to get there fill for the day.

What does "wrapped" mean Aussiedrew?

Back
Top Bottom