Is this bullying and if so, how do I stop it?

Makes sense. šŸ˜ I have two feed stations and two water stations. I had a third feed station in the henhouse, but that's where I found Layla dead a couple of weeks ago, and I got paranoid about putting it back in there. It was also attracting bugs in the henhouse, so I thought two would be enough...
Removing a favorite feeder could be a problem. It is good to have some barriers so that they can get out of the bully's sight. A good thing I like is a sawhorse, with a wood panel on one side, and a place to roost on top. A big rock in the run is a favorite here. They run around it and perch on top, too.

Hi! Sorry about your troubles. Great job rehoming the 3 boys but your hen/roo ratio is still brutal.
There are a few things you can do;
1) get more hens- like 5-7 more.
2) saddles to protect your girls but it wont keep them from being over mated and they will still be terrorized by your amorous roos advances.
3) get rid of your last remaining rooster. :(

I got my saddles on Etsy. They have all kinds of styles but I live in a warm climate so did not want to overheat the ladies. View attachment 2611643View attachment 2611621View attachment 2611623
Those are very nice!

I have 18 hens and one rooster, he still mates his favorite enough to mess up her back and head feathers. The white rock here is his favorite. You can see her back has less feathers. If he had less girls, she would probably look like your hen, too.
IMG_5687.JPG

It will take her about 2-3 weeks to grow back her feathers. I used periodically as a hen ebbs and flows from the favorite. Also... it is Spring... and that will play into things.
I did not see your ration of hens, sorry, thought it was a 2-1 thing.
No antibiotics. Try Neosporin w/o the pain relief if you are worried.
I have had them look bad until they molt. If they get picked bad enough they can be damaged enough to keep the feathers from ever re-growing. I like those hen saddles!

How many hens do you have? Some roosters need 10 or more to be happy and not over breed them.
He had 6. Now he has 5. I just hatched out some chicks and I plan to buy more once I know how many hatches (waiting on four eggs) but goodness, I was told 7 for one rooster. I didn't realize I'd need more hens than that. It was 7 hens until Ellie got injured about three months ago.

He had 6. Now he has 5. I just hatched out some chicks and I plan to buy more once I know how many hatches (waiting on four eggs) but goodness, I was told 7 for one rooster. I didn't realize I'd need more hens than that. It was 7 hens until Ellie got injured about three months ago.
It can be as few as 6 or 7, but one rooster is able to handle 20 hens. My guy is named "Randy" for a reason. (That I can't mention on this family site) :lau

I have had them look bad until they molt. If they get picked bad enough they can be damaged enough to keep the feathers from ever re-growing. I like those hen saddles!
Oh gosh, that is terrible. Sometimes I just lock my boys up. Like enough already! This Spring has been crazy. Not that I am looking forward to summer- ever, but this part of Spring is getting old.
Absolutely beautiful flock BTW!! :love

Back
Top Bottom