Is this bullying and if so, how do I stop it?

Hi! Sorry about your troubles. Great job rehoming the 3 boys but your hen/roo ratio is still brutal.
There are a few things you can do;
1) get more hens- like 5-7 more.
2) saddles to protect your girls but it wont keep them from being over mated and they will still be terrorized by your amorous roos advances.
3) get rid of your last remaining rooster. :(

I got my saddles on Etsy. They have all kinds of styles but I live in a warm climate so did not want to overheat the ladies. View attachment 2611643View attachment 2611621View attachment 2611623
Those saddles are lovely!

#3 isn't an option for me. I love my rooster. If I need to separate him until I have more ladies, I can do that, but I don't plan to sell him.

I actually have 4 roosters total. Only one is in with these girls, the others are separate.

...I have one rooster with two girls right now, and they don't have damaged feathers at all. 😬 (And yes, I do plan to get him more ladies this month!)

Is the rooster the one in your avatar? He looks like a big guy. Mine is not that big.
IMG_5702.JPG

Removing a favorite feeder could be a problem. It is good to have some barriers so that they can get out of the bully's sight. A good thing I like is a sawhorse, with a wood panel on one side, and a place to roost on top. A big rock in the run is a favorite here. They run around it and perch on top, too.
I have a stump and a branch in there now. I'll add more stuff. 😊

#3 isn't an option for me. I love my rooster. If I need to separate him until I have more ladies, I can do that, but I don't plan to sell him.

I actually have 4 roosters total. Only one is in with these girls, the others are separate.

...I have one rooster with two girls right now, and they don't have damaged feathers at all. 😬 (And yes, I do plan to get him more ladies this month!)
A lot depends on the individual rooster.

I have 18 hens and one rooster, he still mates his favorite enough to mess up her back and head feathers. The white rock here is his favorite. You can see her back has less feathers. If he had less girls, she would probably look like your hen, too.View attachment 2611647
Oh wow! 18 and he still manages to damage feathers. :eek:

They are so pretty. 😍

Yeah, I hear ya, roosters are lovely to have around unless they are bad. A good roo is fabulous and I don't blame you. It is my bad for thinking you only had 2 hens- I did not comprehend the whole picture of what you were saying.
Is he a young guy? If he has other girls a good saddle may do the trick.
I also, sometimes lock my boys up in the mornings and the eves when they do the most damage. Again I am going back to that spring thing cuz that is when everything got very intense around my semi peaceful place.

Yeah, I hear ya, roosters are lovely to have around unless they are bad. A good roo is fabulous and I don't blame you. It is my bad for thinking you only had 2 hens- I did not comprehend the whole picture of what you were saying.
Is he a young guy? If he has other girls a good saddle may do the trick.
I also, sometimes lock my boys up in the mornings and the eves when they do the most damage. Again I am going back to that spring thing cuz that is when everything got very intense around my semi peaceful place.
Spring, days getting longer, they go into overdrive. After July things settle down.

Back
Top Bottom