Is this bullying and if so, how do I stop it?

I like roosters, they are the proudest things! You might need to jail your guy for a while, I know that I would not leave Randy the Roo with only a few hens. He is a busy guy!
I noticed you have a nice big run. Did we establish the OPs coop and runs size? Is that an issue? I know you talked about adding feed and waters to keep the gals from getting jumped.
I had a BR named Randy too. He was quite the guy, quite the ladies man too but got rehomed to more space with his own flock. He is doing well.
20201218_085259.jpg

My main roo now is Spider cuz when he was younger he would hide and then jump at the girls like a spider. Love that boy.
20210207_181307.jpg
20210223_104928~2.jpg

I noticed you have a nice big run. Did we establish the OPs coop and runs size? Is that an issue? I know you talked about adding feed and waters to keep the gals from getting jumped.
I had a BR named Randy too. He was quite the guy, quite the ladies man too but got rehomed to more space with his own flock. He is doing well.
View attachment 2611698
My main roo now is Spider cuz when he was younger he would hide and then jump at the girls like a spider. Love that boy.
View attachment 2611699View attachment 2611710
Nice flock! Lots of space does help. Randy is a Barred Holland, they look like a Barred Rock, but lay white eggs. He loves the white Rocks, they are bigger than his girls!

Is the rooster the one in your avatar? He looks like a big guy. Mine is not that big.View attachment 2611676
Ooohh yours is so pretty. 😍

Yes, mine is pretty big! Probably about 8 pounds or so.

IMG_6153.JPG

You can kind of see the size difference here. (LeeLee is the one roosting with the girls, the one in my avatar, Patriot, is fighting Jules Verne through the wire at the bottom. 🤦‍♀️)

Yeah, I hear ya, roosters are lovely to have around unless they are bad. A good roo is fabulous and I don't blame you. It is my bad for thinking you only had 2 hens- I did not comprehend the whole picture of what you were saying.
Is he a young guy? If he has other girls a good saddle may do the trick.
I also, sometimes lock my boys up in the mornings and the eves when they do the most damage. Again I am going back to that spring thing cuz that is when everything got very intense around my semi peaceful place.
Yes, they are all young. I hatched them out last July.

Good to know, I'll do that. 👍

Ooohh yours is so pretty. 😍

Yes, mine is pretty big! Probably about 8 pounds or so.

View attachment 2611719

You can kind of see the size difference here. (LeeLee is the one roosting with the girls, the one in my avatar, Patriot, is fighting Jules Verne through the wire at the bottom. 🤦‍♀️)
Nice -- Patriot vs. Jules Vern! :lau A big guy like that could do that damage. A lot of the larger breeds are less "active" than a smaller breed like a Leghorn. But with that size boy, maybe your girl needs a vacation!

View attachment 2611698
View attachment 2611699View attachment 2611710
He's a handsome guy! Glad he has a good home. :) They are all so lovely! 😍 Spider is a great name too.

As for the run size, I don't know the dimensions, but my parents used to keep more than I have now in there without problems. I think they had around 15 and I have 6.

I have another hen, Amber, who did this. She was with one other chicken and I don't think the other chicken did it. Her back is still bare, but at least not bleeding.
When parrots do it, it is a sign of boredom. Or they are lonely, people keep parrots alone. Chickens are luckier that way, no one keeps just one chicken.
How much space do they have to roam? I like to give them a lot of straw to scratch in, when they have to stay in and can not go out in the yard, like if it is too much snow. They are busy scratching that way.

Back
Top Bottom