Is this bullying and if so, how do I stop it?

Wow. 🤣

Patriot tried to "do" a wild rabbit the other day. 😆 The rabbit wasn't a fan.

That's one spunky rooster to go after hens and roosters so much bigger than him! And a dog! 😂
He was hell on wheels, for sure. Beautiful. Attitude and too spare. The dog was about 30 pounds, he was 3. As you say, dog not a fan! Roosters are all testosterone, no brain.

Amber might like to have some chicks. Scratching the straw makes chickens happy, even you blind girl might like some. I bet if your girl got a hen saddle and a vacation, she would recover. I have had Orpingtons that looked worse. They have amazing powers of recovery.
Since I brought up Amber...

IMG_7333.JPG

This is what Amber's back looked like. It's already healed a bit since this photo. She's a GLW. After her friend, Morisette, died, she got very stressed. I finally found her another chicken who didn't beat her up, Ellie May. Then Ellie died two weeks ago.

I'll offer her some chicks, and some straw. 😁 I don't want her to peck at herself until she bleeds again.

This is the hen that figured out how to undo the velcro on hen saddles. :he Amber doesn't have a rooster who has access to her - it's too traumatic for her since she can't see him coming. (But 23 days ago, Patriot pushed the gate open and found her. I now have a beautiful chick out of my mistake of not latching the gate. 😅) I'll have to modify the saddle or find one that doesn't use velcro if I put one back on her.

Thanks, hoping Banshee makes a full recovery. 😁

I tried several different aprons before finding one that stayed on and in place without restricting movement. I would highly recommend the Down Under Outdoors Premium Chicken Saddle, available on Amazon for $12.99. Avoid all the cute ones that don't work. I spent a small fortune trying the more fashionable variety and none of them stayed on or seemed safe.

Since I brought up Amber...

View attachment 2611779

This is what Amber's back looked like. It's already healed a bit since this photo. She's a GLW. After her friend, Morisette, died, she got very stressed. I finally found her another chicken who didn't beat her up, Ellie May. Then Ellie died two weeks ago.

I'll offer her some chicks, and some straw. 😁 I don't want her to peck at herself until she bleeds again.

This is the hen that figured out how to undo the velcro on hen saddles. :he Amber doesn't have a rooster who has access to her - it's too traumatic for her since she can't see him coming. (But 23 days ago, Patriot pushed the gate open and found her. I now have a beautiful chick out of my mistake of not latching the gate. 😅) I'll have to modify the saddle or find one that doesn't use velcro if I put one back on her.

Thanks, hoping Banshee makes a full recovery. 😁
Birds and people are not so different. We all need company! I am a big fan of Neosporin. Since she is blind, she probably needs other birds close by where she can hear them, even if they are on the other side of the fence. She does have beautiful feathers, hope her chick is as pretty!

If you ask those boys, they would say that they want 80 hens for 4 roos! I just make a difficult choice, Randy is the winner, out of 13 males, he is the one I kept. He was the largest, nicest boy at 14 weeks old. Too many boys is bad for the flock. I gave the second best boy and sold 3 Barred Holland hens to my neighbor, so I can get some of his eggs to hatch later.
Noooooooooooooo what would I do with 80 hens and how would I name them all?!!! :gig

Glad you have some of the others nearby, that must be nice to have them with neighbors!

I almost hate to get rid of any of the others. They are such good boys. I'd feel better if I knew they would go to someone who would give them a flock and love them. I don't want them to end up as soup. 😅 But I understand what you are saying. I had 6 and kept 3, just not with the girls.

IMG_6206.JPG

Before I separated them, this is the other I kept, Bae. He's a sweetheart and I couldn't bear to sell him. That's Banshee with him. (Yes he is also a big boy. 😳)

Will do! He was caged away from them for many months until I sold his brother who kept beating him up. 🤪

Yes, but no more right now. I already hatched one of his yesterday. 😁
Do I detect a bit of Brahma in your avatar roo?
Well, Amber IS alone. She's blind, and the only two chickens who didn't try to peck her to death have passed away. 😢 I'm hoping to introduce Amber to my new chicks soon and see if they grow up with her, if they will not try to kill her when they get older.

Estimating... about 4-foot by 30-foot yard, and a sizable house. I let them into the yard during the day and if I'm outside, I'll let them out of there and let them free range while I'm nearby. I'll add some straw to their yard tomorrow. They have some in their house.
Beautiful flock:love I thought I should squeeze that in there. ;) Nice to have some good news amongst the bad yes? You ladies are very lovely :D
I don't lock my flock up often but when I did in the past I would make treat bags and also dump a barrel of compost or wood chips in the run for them to play with. I'm a cheapskate and that is free to me :lol: don't know if that would set the girls up to get jumped. I also have a bit of a maze so when the girls want to get away, they can out smart the boys with a few jumps and hops.
Snack bag 2.jpg

He was hell on wheels, for sure. Beautiful. Attitude and too spare. The dog was about 30 pounds, he was 3. As you say, dog not a fan! Roosters are all testosterone, no brain.
All testosterone, but SOME brain, and a lot of love, which is why I keep this one. 😂

**His trick starts somewhere around the 30-second mark. I was just proving how he follows me first.

Amber might like to have some chicks. Scratching the straw makes chickens happy, even you blind girl might like some. I bet if your girl got a hen saddle and a vacation, she would recover. I have had Orpingtons that looked worse. They have amazing powers of recovery.
Absolutely! I just got a lesson on that one. My BR got chewed to high heaven by my aunties little 1yo dog. This is 3+ weeks into it and the least gross photo I have. It was bad.
20210322_145649.jpg
This is her a few days ago marking a little more than 5 weeks.
20210407_064836~2.jpg

Birds and people are not so different. We all need company! I am a big fan of Neosporin. Since she is blind, she probably needs other birds close by where she can hear them, even if they are on the other side of the fence. She does have beautiful feathers, hope her chick is as pretty!
Thanks, she is a lovely girl. 😍

She is in the same house with the others (I made a partition so she's alone) and she has a run that follows theirs, so she can hear them. She just won't be killed by them. 😅

I'll use Neosporin on her too. 😁

Oh this chick... I have no idea what it will look like when it grows up. It's 1/2 GLW, 1/4 RIR, 1/4 SLW... 🤣All I know is, she's cute so far! I need to get more pictures now that she's fluffy and out of the incubator. The other chicks are confused by her because she is so dark and different looking and one keeps pecking her. I hope they learn to accept her soon.

IMG_7755.JPG

Back
Top Bottom