Is this bullying and if so, how do I stop it?

Pics
Do I detect a bit of Brahma in your avatar roo?

Beautiful flock:love I thought I should squeeze that in there. ;) Nice to have some good news amongst the bad yes? You ladies are very lovely :D
I don't lock my flock up often but when I did in the past I would make treat bags and also dump a barrel of compost or wood chips in the run for them to play with. I'm a cheapskate and that is free to me :lol: don't know if that would set the girls up to get jumped. I also have a bit of a maze so when the girls want to get away, they can out smart the boys with a few jumps and hops.
View attachment 2611798
He is supposed to be 1/2 RIR and 1/2 SLW, but I've wondered for a while if the roo is full-blood RIR.

Thank you! 😍 They are all RIR / SLW mixes except for two, who are RIR / GLW mixes.

I had to lock them up a while when that crazy freezing weather came through. I didn't want to leave them in the henhouse with their backs so bare. 😬

Oh the maze sounds fun! I'll see if I can set up something new for them.

Love the bag with treats in it! What a pretty hen too. 😍

Oh my :loveYep, total keeper.
Yesssss. :love

When I hatched out chicks last year, I hoped to have at least one rooster who would be a sweetheart and love me. I got him. (LeeLee and Bae are sweet too, but Bae doesn't jump for me and LeeLee... hasn't learned to do it ONLY on command, so I regularly get hit by a flying rooster when I'm not paying attention. :lau)

I tried several different aprons before finding one that stayed on and in place without restricting movement. I would highly recommend the Down Under Outdoors Premium Chicken Saddle, available on Amazon for $12.99. Avoid all the cute ones that don't work. I spent a small fortune trying the more fashionable variety and none of them stayed on or seemed safe.

Sad I can't find this anywhere other than Amazon... (I can't order from there. May have to make it so I can soon...)

I tried several different aprons before finding one that stayed on and in place without restricting movement. I would highly recommend the Down Under Outdoors Premium Chicken Saddle, available on Amazon for $12.99. Avoid all the cute ones that don't work. I spent a small fortune trying the more fashionable variety and none of them stayed on or seemed safe.

These are the best saddles I’ve found too. I got one with elastic around the wings, and one of my hens had it off within an hour. I tried putting it back on a few times, but whoever I put it on would get it off. I’ve had good luck with these sturdy, snapping ones. Once in a while a hen will flip it over to her belly, but that’s only happened twice over about 3 months. I just keep an eye on them and fix them as the need arises.

Sad I can't find this anywhere other than Amazon... (I can't order from there. May have to make it so I can soon...)
I think you can get these at other places if you Google the brand. I found this: https://miaspetsupply.com/products/down-under-outdoors-premium-chicken-saddle?variant=37738414866621

These are so sturdy that I’m going to put mine through the washer once the feathers grow out. I’m so pleased with the product! I will NEVER, EVER allow too many roos in my flock again after having my girls get beat up this year. I guess I’ve just gotten really lucky with my previous roos. I’ve never had an aggressive one before, and this time I got three!

Edit: I’ll keep these saddles on hand once the feathers grow because they’re so sturdy. I’m certain I’ll be able to use them again if necessary. Can you tell I’m really, really pleased with this product? The girls wearing them looking like they’re ready for battle too! It’s hilarious!

Back
Top Bottom