Is this bumble foot?

Duck_Duck_Goose

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
Last week I took a rescue duckling that we’d adopted a week and a half prior to the vet due to a newly developed limp, decreased appetite and stuffy sounding nose (happy to report that today she sounds much less stuffy). Due to Covid I had to wait outside but after running some labs and doing an exam the doctor shared with me that her white cell count was slightly elevated and that she had cracks on her feet which he thinks MAY be, in part at least, why she’s limping. He gave her a shot of doxycycline with another to follow next week depending on outstanding lab results. The thing he doesn’t have a lot of experience with ducks (not many avian vets do around here) so not sure if he’d recognize bumblefoot. I decided she was settled enough today to take a closer look myself and am wondering if this is what she has?

Attachments

• 02F1B8E4-F808-4912-AC4A-4EF7EAAFBE84.jpeg
    02F1B8E4-F808-4912-AC4A-4EF7EAAFBE84.jpeg
    580.6 KB · Views: 11
The picture is slightly blurry, so I'm unable to make out the full extent, but from what I can tell, there is no sign of pododermatitis (bumblefoot), just what looks to be superficial abrasions to the epidermis. Due to the opening, that can allow bacteria to enter, and cause Bumblefoot. More emphasis should be put on providing a soft, clean, dry housing substrate to reverse what you're seeing. An Epsom salt soak may be a good way to kill off any bacteria on the surface, and reduce a pain, or irratation.

Hi Isaac,
Thank you. Getting this little one to soak will be tough but I’ll try figuring out a way to snuggle her while getting her feet in the epsom salt bath. Would triple antibiotic ointment help after?

Hi Isaac,
Thank you. Getting this little one to soak will be tough but I’ll try figuring out a way to snuggle her while getting her feet in the epsom salt bath. Would triple antibiotic ointment help after?

As a further note in regards to the Epsom salts soak; since Epsom salts is a laxative you'll want to avoid her drinking any of the water.

If you'd like to put an ointment overtop you could. If being set out in a dirty-ish environment, it may be best not to, since the ointment may attract debris/dirt, etc to the lesions.

Back
Top Bottom